Who Has Resumed Rehearsing and Even Gigging?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:18 AM.

1. Like about every group around the world, my two bands stopped rehearsing and gigging in mid-March 2020, but one of them is back to playing.

Has your group started rehearsing in-person or even playing gigs?

The old-time string band (Harken Back String Band) has been rehearsing for several months, but I didn't join them until I was fully vaccinated in April 2021. We've since had two gigs and have some booked. I didn't notice any social distancing at either gig, but I did decline a few hand-shake offers.

The rock band (The Canary Promise) hasn't been together since last March and we've not been in touch for over a year; I hope this group can survive the break. While we met nearly every week, we rarely gigged, but enjoyed playing our mix of originals and covers in my in-home rehearsal space.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    tindrum, J Cagey, roccobass and 9 others like this.
  2. Never really quit for more than a couple of months. We gigged through 2020, although not as much as 2019

3. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Last gig was March 7, 2020. Luckily, being in Los Angeles I was able to rehearse year round outdoors with both of my bands. And gigging resumes in less than a month!...
    HyperFlyer 4.jpeg

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    We've been gigging since mid May. Great to be back in the saddle again.

tindrum, Bunk McNulty, JRA and 4 others like this.
  5. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Never stopped playing, my bandmates are lifelong friends.
    As for playing out there was not a lot of opportunity as it seems many local venues here were forced to close by the bureaucrats

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 10:55 AM
  6. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    In the one project i seem to have left, we have started occasional rehearsals and the BL is trying to book more gigs over the summer/fall. Only one booked in September at a meadery, and we played a block party last weekend. Not gigging nearly as much as pre-pandemic but happy to have some dates to look forward to at least.

Bunk McNulty, JRA, C Stone and 2 others like this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    It just started up in June, private party then bike week.
    A lot of our venues have gone with solo or duos so less work
    then before.

twocargar, Bunk McNulty, JRA and 2 others like this.
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    There is a third option - auditioning! :D

We had two band members leave the band during the COVID break and our first get together is this coming Sunday. We're auditioning two guitar players then and are talking to a keys player and another guitar player about auditioning the following Sunday.

Hopefully we'll be find two replacements soon so we can finally start rehearsing.

Bunk McNulty, JRA and OldFenderPlayer like this.
  9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I’ve been gigging since mid May
    Of 2020

10. Brich

Brich

Nov 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Got a gig tomorrow. Been playing in two bands (original and covers) both of which remained pretty active throughout. I'm already booked up and good for roughly 20 gigs from here until December

Dubious Aa, JRA, Hounddog409 and 2 others like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I played more during lockdown than before - I do church gigs, and before lockdown, I could only be in one place at a time on any given Sunday. We went to virtual services, which meant I could play multiple gigs (as they were recorded ahead of time) in a given week. Since last Summer, we've been recording as a band together, and since early winter, we've been doing some live (albeit with limits on audience size) services. Now every place I'm playing is doing live services with Youtube broadcasts - you can attend in person or at home.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    We mostly transitioned to an outdoor, semi-acoustic format and played at least monthly through 2020. Things dried up through the winter as more shutdowns happened, and we started practicing again when the weather allowed outdoor practices. Now, we're all vaccinated and we will practice indoors or outdoors and the gigs are slowly returning. A lot of places seem to want to book acoustic duos now to limit their hit if nobody comes out on a given night, but that is waning also.

13. Literally never stopped because I live in South Dakota.

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I have resumed both, actually started rehearsing again maybe two months ago. We were getting together last summer and stopped in the fall when COVID numbers spiked…2 of our members caught it but were ok, fortunately.

In our area (Philly/Jersey) things are opening up quickly and we have several dates booked already. This band was booked THROUGH 2021 pre COVID so I am hopeful that we will refill that pipeline quickly.

JRA and OldFenderPlayer like this.
  15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    First off, Best of luck to all and may your gigs be plentiful. My Band basically fell apart because of the big C.

Fortunately....I have gotten back together with a great Singer/Guitarist and his rhythm guitarist & Drummer. Our first rehearsal is this coming Sunday.

I feel so lucky to be jamming again. I never, ever take my gig for granted. It's harder than most people realize to land a good bass player job. It's a whole new set list for me but I know about 1/2 of the songs from playing along to the radio. I'll get the rest by Sunday sans 5 or so.

16. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Me

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I've resumed rehearsing, but gigging? Can't say I miss it. I've got plans for a studio project and I really don't want to work with other musicians right now. Have a bunch of work to do in the house first, but once that's done and I finally figure out how to record this 6 string banjo with dirt and still make it sound like a banjo, I'm going to get to work recording these songs I've got.

18. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Nice to hear, a friend of mine normally does live production/recording for seminars, presentaions and the like and has thankfully been very busy due to demand for virtual services, thank God for small favors!

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  19. First rehearsal with the band last week. Was such a joy to be back at it again after being on hiatus for over six months. First gig is in early august. Finally Stockholm is opening up. :D

20. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    My band started rehearsing again with a new bassist since our’s is moving. We have no interest in gigging the way we were, which was 3-8 times a month. We found new passions and music is much healthier for us. We just want to play house shows and 20 minute sets instead of 3 hour spots taking up our weekends.

JRA and OldFenderPlayer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021