Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has switched from 10" to 12" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ncognito, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hi all

As a long time 10" user, I now have a thing for more of an old school sound. Have any of you switched over to 12" drivers? If so, which cabinets are you using, and what are your impressions? Would you switch back?

Thanks for the help and info!!!

Nick

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I changed from Genz Benz 410/210's to two Aguilar GS112s. The GB 10's were excellent, especially all six together in a bridged mono config., BUT once I heard the Aggie 12s I realized there was a whole low end spectrum I had been missing.

3. I've got a pair of Avatar CB112s I've gigged with a couple times so far and they do the old school sound pretty well for me.They don't get the upper mid bite like my 210 XLT but they seem to have a smoother bottom end and still cut through the guitars.My band is doing more traditional blues and the 12s seem to get the tone I want.The XLT works great also but I don't miss the weight(68 lbs).I had an Aggie 112 and it had a nice round bottom too with better highs than the Avatar but at the time I couldn't afford another one.I'm glad I got the Avatars the pair gets plenty loud.

4. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I went from an ampeg 8x10-too heavy, to Acme 2 2x10's- too powerhungry/hi-fi, to my current amp epifani T212.

It's great, it has big fat, yet CONTROLLED low end, and the highs can best be described as sweet. They're not sharp and clinical sounding like with a lot of cabs, and you can EQ them out for a nice dubby tone. I wouldn't hesitate to say that i'm pleased with my switch and would reccomend at least trying 12"s to another bassist.

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Which companies actually make bass cabs w/ 12 inch speakers? I can't think of any.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ampeg, Eden, Aguilar, Epifani, EA (I believe), Accugroove, Avatar, SWR (not sure if they still do), Mesa just to name a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are quite a few others that have elluded me.

I've switched from a pair of SWR 2x10s and a 1x15 to a pair of Mesa Powerhouse Jrs, which are 1x12 and 4x8s. I'm still in the transition of building a rig with these cabs, so I haven't totally switched yet.

Edit: Genz Benz and Glockenklang make 12" cabs, too.

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Thank you much. :D