Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has the best bass collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, May 2, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    JT, Brad Johnson, Funky, Steve ?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What, no poll? :D

JT's collection is too vertical for me (pretty much just one bass, IMO). FunkyC's changes so frequently that I don't know what he has at the moment... and I think he's ditching his 535 so I penalize him for that. ;) Without knowing Steve's collection, I give the award to my homey Brad Johnson, who's got a very nice variety of excellent basses.

But I like my collection a lot, too! :)

3. Saibuster

Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    UK
    Nice collection fuzzbass!!

Which one is your favorite? :)

4. I would say JT, but as Fuzzbass said, his collection is just too vertical. I give another vote to Brad.

5. Definitely Brad's. Nino-Brown's is a bit one-dimensional but still pretty high-quality.

6. I say nino brown! always vote for the under dog!

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There is cat in Detroit who puts us all to shame. he builds high price houses for a living. For every house he finishes, he buys another one of a kind hand made bass. When I met him in Jan of 2000 he had 53 basses.

Mike

8. Very nice!....But, wait! What the hell is that??!! A PT CRUISER?!? :eek: ;) :D

Sounds like my guitar buddy. He's a major contractor down here in Atlanta and has his own recording studio and miniature gym--in his basement. He probably has over 30 different guitars.
    But, hand-made basses? Wow! :eek:

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Alot of us have GREAT collections. I have to vote for myself, thou. :p

I like Embellisher, RS, FuzzBass, JT, Brad Johnson, Joe Nerve & many other members collections.

10. P.S. - I did sell my MTD (to fellow TB'er Jerry J), but I got a 635--no fancy top, tulipwood body.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I love FC collection... it has many tones and feelings... maybe if he threw a Zon in the collection... :D

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    OK...last count I had over 150 basses... (and I have bought a few since then.) Several Fenders, several Gibson, several old Guilds, several Warwicks, three USA Tobias, three Pedullas, a bunch of German made things from the 60's, several Hagstroms, and a ton more... honest!

13. Fuzzbass

Well hey, the gear simply won't fit into my Lamborghini Countach. ;) :p

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i like my collection the best. obviously, since i've paid for it :D.

i was going function, and since there are few 7+ string bass makers other than conklin, i don't have many options. i have yet to play any basses that i've liked more than my conklins, and only the 7 string gold seal style ritter 7 came close. i hope to add that one to my collection someday very soon.

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey guys... I feel like an amateur... I only have 2 Sadowskys, 2 Laklands, Pulcinella Level 5 and hopefully soon a Joe Osborne 5 and I have my eye on a Moon 5 or a Lull MV-5... And I drive a Pathfinder... Hey FuzzBass, how do you like your LullPJ-5 ??? Steven...

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yah, I'm a little behind the curve myself, but I've got a few amassing gradually...closing in on the big 20. They're at the link in my sig file.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    pretty much one bass? how do you figure? i've got all kinds of different woods, electronics, pickups and string configurations going on. i got hollow body, semi hollow, solid, neck through, bolt on, fretted, fretless.

sheesh.

;)

:D

18. Nice.

I'd like to put Matt Schmill's kids through college the way JT has with Bill Conklin's...

Matt, are you reading this? Are you interested in building a doubleneck fretless 6/fretted 10 (doubled 5)?

:D

19. Fuzzbass

Shoot, I forgot the winkie... here ya go: ;) Yes, you might have as much tonal variety in your one-builder collection as anyone, but they all look like freakin' Conklins!! I don't mean that in a bad way; but in spite of your variety of tops and MeltedWood and whatnot your collection is still vertical looks-wise, so there. If you want my vote, go buy a Rickenbacker or something. :D

P.S. There are so many orGASmically great collections here I can't actually pick a #1. :eek: