Who has the best bassline?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleafan, Sep 9, 2000.

1. OK i have seen what all you peeps think of flea and which bassline you recon is the best from him aswell as he best christian bassline but over all @ the end of the day WHO has the best bassline in a song (please dont say a solo player cause i dont think thats a bass line i think thats a song on its own)
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While there are several favorites for me, Bernard Edwards of Chic ("Good Times") IMO composed a "perfect" bass line. Bootsy Collin's work with James Brown on "Sex Machine"... not a lot of notes but the feel is a killer. Chris Squire's "Roundabout" defined the "pickin' a Ric" sound for me, talk about "bite":D Larry Graham "Thank you fallentinme..." with Sly...perfect. A new one for me would be Tom Barney "Gaslight Abbey" (Steely Dan) another "perfect" line. I could easily go on...;)
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Please DO go on, Brad. Everyone one of those is great! I will just add one of my favorites.....James Dewar on "Day of the Eagle" with Robin Trower.
  4. I would have to say @ the moment i kinda dig that
    Kylie minogue "spinning around" bass line ..to bad her fans dont respect it (or even hear it)
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just rediscovered Anthony Jackson's bass line on "For The Love Of Money" by The O'Jay's - what a great, effective line!! - and it's played with a pick ;)
  6. John Paul Jones bassline for "Ramble On" is cool. I can't think of what would be the best bassline (too hard), but this is a really cool one. Later!

-Woof Man Out!
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't listen to enough Flea to be able to say what his best was.

Some of my favorites:

What is Hip? (C'mon, it doesn't get much better)
    Hair (GCS)
    She (Tony Hall on Harry Connick's "She")

*Props to CCR's "Fortunate Son." It doesn't get much simpler, but boy does it drive that song.

Mingus on "Money Jungle"

Probably my all time favorite, Jamerson's "Grapevine" for Marvin Gaye. The version for Gladys Knight deserves honorable mention.
  8. How about the bass line for "Sir Duke"?I don't know the name of the bassist for Stevie,but "Songs in the Key of Life " is chock full of grooving lines.Who remembers the theme song for "Sanford and Son"?I know it was just a sitcom in the 70's,but Quincy Jones either wrote it or played or both.Stinky funky groove!!!In fact,all the people mentioned on this thread are awesome.As far as locals,I knew a dude named Keith Parham,he now goes by the name of Marxellus.He was incredible.
  9. kuamer

Aug 28, 2000

i'd say some of Flea's best works include:

Soul to Squeeze from the Coneheads Stk
    Californication same album
    pretty lil ditty from Mother's milk
    and my fav

naked in the rain from BSSM
    great lil' solo in there....

10. There are just too many good lines/solos to mention and there's not enough time to learn the majority of them.What a dilemna! Oh well,Learning is half the fun!!!
  11. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    id have to say the best bass lines ive heard have been from darryl jenifer, mike watt, tommy stinson, the meat puppets
  12. To Quintar: I don't remember the bass lines that Mike Watt played,but I got to see the Minutemen at Chrysler Hall in VA. when they opened up for REM.Needless to say,it was a killer show!!
  13. I think that Oasis's 'Go Let It Out' has the best bass line ever!!!!!
  14. zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    You're looking for Flea's best bassline?????
    I think its Nobody Weird like me from Mothers Milk
    Les Claypool's best is in Lacquer Head

Nirvana's Lithium has a smooth bassline...
  15. kuamer

Aug 28, 2000

Les Claypool has too many songs that have great basslines.
    i think the track Southbound pachyderm off tales from the punchbowl is Great!

incubus have some groovy lines
    Stellar Rocks!!!

16. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Don't forget some realy fine synth bass lines, like on

"Let's hear it for the boy" (Denise Williams)

"Ain't Nobody" (Chaka Khan)

It's a good execise to play that stuff on tuba (and it drops jaws if you play it with a tuba on sessions) :D
  17. I think Melvin Gibbs' line on 'Liar' (Rollins Band) is one of the coolest things I have heard. Familiarity has worn off its 'wow' factor, but I remember first hearing it on the radio at 2am half asleep. Woke me up big style!

It's not massively technical, but that intro IS the song IMHO
  18. To the Angry Scotsman: Oasis wrote great songs, I chose to ignore their off stage garbage.I really liked :What's The Story Morning Glory".

Did someone mention Melvin Gibbs?I saw Rollins in concert and guess which side of the stage I stood on?Free bass lessons,Yeah!!!

What about Ben Sheppard's line on "Pretty Noose?"Their pretty cool.

Also,anything Doug Wimbush plays on is gonna be groovin'!
  19. To jfsjbb:Those are fun lines!!What about: "Sanctified" by NIN
    "Super Freak" Ric James
    "Out On The Tiles" Zeppelin

20. To Willie:

You lucky lucky lucky sod!!

The only time I have been able to see Melvin live was Reading '94, when he was still quite new in the band.