Who has the DEEP Discount?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old grouch, Dec 27, 2005.

1. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

DINGWALL AFTERBURNER I or II looks like it might be the one. If they are just unreachable for my $$$, then a Dingwall Super J. Check 'em out at Dingwall.

Now, who knows where I can get one through someone like Musiciansfriend, or maybe one of you has a MINT used issue?

Please lemme know.
    Thanx, OG :scowl:

PS check 'em out HERE at DINGWALL GUITAR/BASS
  2. old grouch

anyone know where I could AFFORD one?
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    He beat me to it, I was going to recomend Bass Central. You'll have to call for a quote, Beaver the owner is out of town right now. Ask for Grasshopper.
  5. of course there is always....EBAY.
    You just have to decide what your budget will be, then save up.

Unfortunately these basses are in high demand and in short supply, so the price is never free, but EBay has sold a few for under 1 grand for afterburner Is, I've seen ABII used for 1500-1800. A few older Primas and Z1s also hit Ebay occasionaly, and they go for around 1800-2000. Lastly, SuperJs, are the price of a highend ABII, and they are brand new, don't expect much deep discount there.

The Dingwall bass forum (on his website) occasionally lists used basses for sale, but importantly everyone keeps their eyes open for good deals on Dingwalls

so whats your budget
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes...the AB1 is the most affordable of the Dingwalls. A plain topped one that's new should be sub $1500 bucks and one with a fancy top should be between 1500 and maybe 1800. Bass Central will treat you well as will BassNW (special order only there). I'd also talk with Rod @ AXE music up in Canada. They promised to match or beat any price around when I was shopping.

I will say that Dingwalls are one of the modern 'boutique' instruments that hold their value the best. AB1s tend to go for around $1200 and the non-fancy topped ones usually fetch 1K...but I've heard tell that some have sold for as little as $700 if you're very, very lucky. They do show up on eBay every once in a while, but Dingwall owners seem to hold on to them. (This speaks very well for their basses).

I also suggest visiting the Dingwall board and not only looking, but posting any questions to Sheldon Dingwall. He visits the board just about every day, and seems to be quicker to post there than even answer emails.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Just to egg you on...here's mine:

I liked it so much that only a few months later I'm having Sheldon build me a Z1...but can't even think about selling this one! :)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    As far as the highend bass market goes,used Dingwalls are rare(your chances of finding a used Fodera are better).but the Afterburners are a very good introduction to the qaulity that one will get from a Dingwall.

This is a pic of my 6 string Dingwall(it's the 4th 6 string that Sheldon made and it's the Voodoo model that Sheldon dosen't make any more.I have had some very interesting offers for it).

Attached Files:

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sheldon really backed up right now on production of all models? I emailed him a question a while back, and I received a reply from someone saying that Sheldon was extremely backed-up and wasn't taking on anymore orders for a while. This was about 6 months ago, so I'm sure that things have changed, but I'm going to guess that his production problem can only increase the value of the used Dingwalls. I saw a demo ABII on ebay a few months back sell for just under 2K! That completely blew me away because I was given quotes on brand new ones for $2100-$2200.
    I have a total jones for an ABII at the moment, so the next one that pops used is all mine!
  10. mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    Grasshopper's been out for a few days, too -- I'm waiting for him to return to set up my new Sadowsky. I think he's back by this weekend, though.
  11. I'm not totally sure what Sheldons back up time is now, but on the Dingwall web forum he was stating that from time to order to time of recipt of basses is around 3-5months for Afterburners and 8-12months for Z series and Primas (http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91).
    One big upcomming concern for the new year is that the Dingwall crew is going to NAMM in januray 06. Last time Sheldon went to NAMM he sold out the whole years orders in 1 day.....consider adding more time...tick, tock, tick tock.
    So if your interested in a Dingwall you might consider checking in ASAP.
    Heres my teaser shot
  12. Here's my Afterburner 1, which I purchased through Bass Central. I highly recommend them - both Dingwall and Bass Central.

13. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm getting GAS. Help! Stop me before I spend again!!!!
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Give me your money and I will keep it safe for you!:D
  15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

He very well might be well backed up right now. When I started talking with him about a new one back in august or september, he quoted me something like 4-8 months depending...My deposit went in sometime in november, and I really don't expect much until say maybe June at the earliest and possibly later.

I agree that compared to other basses there are fewer used ones around and that they have a higher resale value based upon percentage of original 'new' value. I have to think that they'll be one of the more collectable instruments in the coming years, but that's not really the reason to have one. They sound, feel and play great...and look pretty ok too.
  16. old grouch

How do you like the 'faned fret system?"
    OG :mad:
  17. I can't speak for Bass Viking, but I love it.

Any excuse.
  18. old grouch

Is it as comfortable, more?, or less? than straight frets? Does it take a LOT of getting used to?
  19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Its awesome. You'll feel like you're at home in mere seconds, and that's NOT an exaggeration. It gives you even string tension across the fretboard and your lower notes will remain tight. It also keeps your hand ergonomically positioned. It looks scary, but it's all bark and no bite when it comes to adjusting.
  20. OG-
    it will take you longer to read this thread then it will to get comfortable on the novax fanned fret system. Your fingers know where to go.
    As Burning sky mentions its all bark. IMO it purely a visual thing.
    In reality the fanning- evens the string tension, and makes each note articulate and clear.
    I cant speak for bass viking ether-but I love it as well, infact I've retired all my parallel fret basses because of it.

Heck I even have a fanned fretless bass