who has tried the discombobulator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i tried this envelope filter at a show a few weeks ago. it was pretty phat.

it sounded really thick and wet. more so than my mutron III.

i think i need to play with my settings more because my current mutron set-up wasn't even close.
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Have one, like it. Nice "splat", no loss of lows.
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I have one, too. It's the best envelope filter on the market, IMO.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had one and it lost LOTS of low end. Mad Subwoofer had one a while back and found the same thing.
    So, sounds like there must have been an update to it recently
  5. i LOVE my discumbobulator...amazing filter, and i dont experience low end loss (i believe older ones have some low end loss, but if u buy new, ull be fine)...very wet, very thick
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I should mention that I also had a ReezaFratzitz which did lose enough low signal as to make it unusable for bass IMO.

So far, so good with the 'Bobulator in the low end dept., at least with the unit I got.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm not a fan, and i know that TaySte isn't either. We tried to together on one of our pedal hunting trips, *awww*
  8. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It's a nice pedal, but not super nice very middle of the road, better thant he fx25b and the q-tron but nothing massively amazing, I found it came close to what I was after but never really hit the nail on the head, so as usual filters are very hit and miss.

I'd probably own one if I found one half price and second hand but other than that I doubt it.

Hope this helps
  9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I've been using one a lot and it is everything I want in a filter pedal. I find filter settings on bass to be tricky anyhow, so the fact that I am getting consistent results with it is a big plus. I've A/B's it with a MoogerFooger filter and with a Guyatone WR3. It ate the WR3 for lunch. The Moog is pretty much in a class by itself, but the EMMA really sounded good next to it and when I got a setting that I liked on the EMMA it was just what I wanted. At that point the smaller size, the standard power supply, and the simplicity won out over the Moog.

My A/B setup was a 2-loop true bypass switcher, with a SansAmp BDDI at the input and my SM500/Epifani 112 rig on the output.
  10. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I had one and didn't really like it. It does work great for guitar though.