1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who has tried the Gollihur Artist bows?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by CSBBass, Nov 3, 2016.

1. CSBBass

CSBBass

Sep 21, 2013
    Any happy buyers out there hiding out? I've always heard good things about the products Gollihur puts their name on, but I haven't seen any comments from anyone who's bought or at least tried one of these bows, so I'm a bit hesitant to consider buying one myself. How do they play/sound? Anyone able to compare to, say, a Metropolitan or Finale?

2. HCF

HCF Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Bump! Anybody?

3. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Bump - Anybody at all? Beuller?

4. JayLaughlin

JayLaughlin

Sep 15, 2016
    Seattle
    I use this bow but my experience with different bows is limited to two, this one and my brazilwood bow...so my analysis is limited.

FWIW...In short, I like this bow. I find that it is easier to play and draw out good, clean notes than my brazilwood bow. The balance is really nice. The hair length is ohhh about an inch longer than the brazilwood and feels significantly lighter. As far as the difference in tone between the two...I'd say the artist bow is cleaner and brighter (more refined?) and more like what you'd expect in a symphony and the brazilwood bow is earthier...more like what you might find in a milonga with a small Tango ensemble and dancers galore. Broad generalizations, I know. But that's how I think about them as I play them and think about the difference.
    How much of the difference is the bow itself and not the hair (white vs the black in the brazilwood bow), I don't know.

5. I'm not sure exactly what model I have, but a few years back. I bought a Gollihur German-grip brazilwood bow. Just a few weeks back, I took my bass and the Gollihur bow to the bass shop in Portland to compare it to their bows; my intent was to determine if the bow was holding back my progress.

My bow compared very favorably to all of the student-level bows. His most expensive bow was a $900 pernumbuco bow, and yes, it did sound a little fuller than my brazilwood bow, but honestly, I liked the feel of the Gollihur bow better.

So I concluded that the bow quality wasn't holding back my progress; it's just lack of talent and practice, as we all would have guessed to start with.

6. Great analogy! Makes me want to keep the brazilwood bow.

JayLaughlin likes this.