1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who has two 5 strings one BEADG and one EADGC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzkuma, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    So I am converting from one 6 string to two 5 strings one tuned E-C and the other B-G. I feel that the 6 string is too big for me and it also weighs too much, the other reason I am doing this is because I find that most of the time I don't play the full range of a 6 in one tune (I do in one gig but not in one song/tune).
    Anyone have any difficulties getting used to two different 5 strings which are tuned differently? How long did it take you to get used to the two different basses and be able to play through the fretboard without thinking about it anymore?

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I had just one 5 strings and I tried the EADGC tuning and after that I bought a 6 strings. Less problem to have a 6 strings.

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Why is it such a problem that you can't use a 6ers entire range in one tune? You see vocalists using every note in their range during every song?

4. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Its not a problem, I can if I want to. But most of the times if I'm playing one tune which calls for chords/solo/melody i don't ever go down to the B, and in the other hand tunes which call for a groove (pocket) i never go up to the C. I think you misunderstood my op.

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I had a five string tuned CGDAE for a while. I happened to really like tuning in fifths, but not five strings. If you are looking for a way to make a five string do the work of six, it can be done. Obviously if you really need that low B you would have to flat the other four strings but I suppose that is doable.

Ken

6. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    the problem for me is the neck size, weight, size. And on a side note, the reason I really want two fivers is because I tried a fender P bass a while ago which I loved, (i was never a fender guy but this one hooked me in) and I have a 5 string with a high C being made right now.

7. I like basses and more basses, but I'd just assume have one er vs. one in B-G and E-C. Billy Sheehan would rather have his B-D and E-G double neck. Ouch.

8. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I played 4 strings exclusively for about 20 years. My main basses are now both Musicman Stingrays 1 BEADG (sort of, as with my current gig it's usually tuned up a 1/2 step to C standard) and 1 EADGC. 2 different basses with 2 different sounds.

I play in a lot of different tunings and I have a handful of basses that I keep in different tunings. I like it because I feel like it keeps me on my toes so I DO HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT but only to an extent. I think playing in different tunings also helps me keep the creative juices flowing. It does put things into different places and positions so I think it can just make you think in different terms, which is a good thing.

9. I don't have too much to add other than my teacher had one bass BEADG and another EADGC. It worked for him, and he loved it that way... Probably still does.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  10. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008

Never thought about it that way, i guess it will free me up from thinking in shapes and more into using my ear. Thats interesting, i will have to shed to get my fingers used to which string = which note and be aware of which bass I'm playing in that particular tune haha.

11. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    If you've got the two tuned BEADG and EADGC I think it will be nothing for you. The strings will feel so different and, like you said, different songs call for each one, and mostly you'll actually be in the same tuning.

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I play in B-G the majority of the time but have just ordered a 5 string with tighter spacing to string E-C.

13. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    It might be worth looking at an Ibanez GVB36. Slim neck and very narrow string spacing = much easier if you're used to smaller necks.

14. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Which bass did you order? I got one on order too, E-C, tighter string spacing and 26 frets haha.

15. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    I play B-G most of the time and E-C for solo sessions without a problem, just having to bear in mind the tuning difference occasionally.

You may know that Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke and many other bassists playing E-G and A-C. Not much different.

16. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    cool, i wasn't aware Stanley had other basses with diff tunings.

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Put a hip shot on your E-C 5'er

18. If you already have a 6 then having two different 5er's sounds like a good idea![​IMG]

Mystic Michael likes this.
  19. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    I did haha, its an mg, You got one too didn't you? Im still waiting for it though. My 6er was a smith, nothing wrong with it, played beautiful but I had to finance the mg. The other one will be a P (once I recover from paying for the mg).

20. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i have two one tuned BEADG the other tuned ADGCF