Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who have had the biggest impact on the music in the US??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GeorgeBush, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Elvis "the King"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Frank Sinatra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bob Dylan

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Michael Jackson

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. someoneelse

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. GeorgeBush

GeorgeBush

Dec 11, 2002
    Which american artist have had the biggest impact on USA s music??

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Aerosmith

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Louis Jordan. ;)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    If you're talking about popular music, and artists, it's definitely Elvis. Ask any artist of any other genre who was trying to have a career at the time. He buried most everybody.

Otherwise....Leo Fender....or Les Paul (invented multi-track recording).

5. Little Richard

6. Louis Armstrong

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Louis Jordan begat Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bill Haley, etc.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Robert Johnson

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Fieldy;)

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I voted Dylan because, well because I didn't see the someone else option 'till it was too late. Bob Dylan did make a huge impact both as a songwriter and as a performer. As a performer, he tought us that good songwriting both lyrically and musically make a good song - that you don't have to be blessed with what would traditionally be considered a "good singing voice" to be a singer or front a band. As far as my true belief that the biggest impact was made by "someone else" - Frank Zappa. Don't even get me started on Zappa. I think Elvis made a huge impact in his time, but I really think that is a long gone era and his influence is not so relevant today. I believe that Zappa directly influenced many of the pros that are working today.

11. I'd say some of the older blues players like T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters and Freddie King. These guys influenced all the later players that then went into Rock, IMHO. And let's not forget that Rock 'n Roll basically evolved from Swing Jazz and Blues.

What do you say?

Mike

12. Christina Aguilera....NOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! hahahAHAHAHA...

But HEEEEYYYY you guys didn't mention tha godfathah o' soul James Brown, HUH??? I'm no R&B guy but uh Mr. Brown sure didn't go unnoticed.

You could make a case for Hendrix, too.

Some would make a case for Madonna too, but...

13. if the phrase "impact on US music" means which American artist directly spawned more imitators, gave impetus to flooding the airwaves with descendants of their own genres, and inspired more musicians 'down the years', I'd have to say Elvis.

right place, right time

14. The Beatles, duh.

15. If you say American artists only...then I guess Elvis, but maybe 20 years from now you could replace him with Nirvana :eek:

But if you say what musician(s) impacted America most regardless of what country they are from, then definatly The Beatles.

16. The Beatles for sure, I don't think anyone's ever brought together more people.

And Elvis maybe.

17. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Elvis pre-dated the Beatles...and influenced them.

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Elvis himself didn't actually write the songs though. I suppose it was a case of right time & right place. I think the Beatles have had a greater impact on pop songwriting. What they created was so much more original than Elvis' stuff.