1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who here all longboards?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by uethanian, Sep 13, 2008.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yea, so i'm going to be buying my first longboard this week, a kracked skulls m1 http://krackedskulls.com

i dont know what my motive is for starting (i never really liked skateboarding, i was always an inliner), but it just looks so chill. and i'm buying it with my first check from playing bass.

so anyone on TB into this? seems like a bass player thing to do (not sure what i mean by this, but it just does). post pics of your boards if you got them!

2. I do, both on water and on land :)

3. I am so old that my former-first-generation hippie brother actually skated in the early 60s, but I have a weak but persistent urge to shape a slab of mahogany & slap some trucks & wheels on it. I didn't really skate in my youth(80s)so I don't know what makes me want to now. I'll post pics of any broken bones. :atoz:

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'm a longboarder. I had a KS before too. 46" scimitar, but I jumped on it and it broke. Then I realized I liked downhill so I bought a Rayne Hellcat.
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]

5. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I've got an old LIB Tech that I've had since middle school. I used it freshman year as my primary form of transportation around campus. I usually bike now, but I've still got the board under my bed and I bust it out every once in a while.

6. I do. I have a sector 9 and a board that I built myself. When you are hitting any sort of speed wear a helmet and pads. It will save yourlife. Check out some videos on youtube to see what can all be done on one. Some guys are right nuts.

lowsound

7. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    hey man i've seen your scimitar board on silverfish. with the rasta paint job. cool stuff.

8. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Hah I figured you had to have a silverfish account. Barely anyone outside of SF knows about kracked skulls.

9. I see them mentioned all the time on ontariolongboarding.com. Never seen one in person before.

lowsound

10. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Hah well they aren't much to look at, almost everyone who sees it thinks I built it myself. Although for $60 for the deck it's hard to go wrong. Looking back I would have probably bought something else though.

11. Mr. Black

Mr. Black

Oct 23, 2007
    Portland, TX
    I've heard good things about the Kracked Skulls boards...... They look like fun.

I longboard on ground & in water.... For the pavement I've got a LBL Old Skool Dancer that I run on Tracker trucks & Abec 11 Flashbacks.... Lots of fun... Good cruiser with a slight concave to give a good snap to the flex..... At almost 5 ft long it's narrow enough to throw around a little bit.

http://www.longboardlarry.net/index.php

Here's the site.... His boards are a little pricey but the OSD is the best longboard cruiser that I've ridden and I've been skating for 20 years....

:D

12. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I have a kracked skull actually, don't really use it to commute to work anymore, just felt kind of silly. I encourage pads and helmets though. I was one of those, helmets look lame teen, but the first I hit some high speeds going down a hill not really sure how to stop, this was on a skateboard by the way, I was convince. I rather have helmet hair then fed through a tube. Sector 9's are also pretty good, I just never dug their graphics XD.

13. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'm surprised no one brought up Loaded yet. I'm thinking about getting a pintail and some of those pink randal 'support boobs' trucks. Already have some green S9 wheels lying around.

14. My girlfriend has a sector 9 city crusher. She convinced me to drop down on a board so I got a Channel 9. Pretty much the opposite ride characteristics as hers. I'mna buy her some bearings for Christmas

l_b8eac17cfa114bf38525bb9bb9d62e0f.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have one of the original Sector 9's. It's finally split and I expect her to go any day now. I also have a 9'0" Stewart hydro-hull and a 7'6" Yater fun board for surfing.

16. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

My son wants a longboard for Christmas and I don't have a clue.

Can someone recommend somewhere to start? Either board recommendations or places to shop?

Thanks,
    LeonD

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Start with Sector-9

18. Muir Surf Shop online store (or any store of your choosing).

Also consider the terrain and condition of the roads in your area.

19. Yep. Sector 9 pintail complete. The Goddess one with the griffen trucks is a great beginner board. Should run you around $200.

lowsound

20. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    When I was a kid, urethane wheels were just coming into the market but for those of us without much scratch, we usually made our own boards using steel wheels from rollerskates. It's a wonder any of us survived.