Who here always plays with tone knob full?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Sep 18, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    hmmm

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i have two fender jazzes. my default setting is everything up all the way, all the time. (on the fretless, i'll play around more with the controls, but with my main one ['74], everything's always up.)

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I usually do.

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I used to before I put a pre in my warwick, I would rather cuthighs on the amp to get more control.

5. Logical Frank

Logical Frank

Sep 18, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I used to be an all-the-way-up guy but over time, I've started to set my amp at just a wee bit too bright and then knock down the highs w/ my tone knob a bit. It sounds a little fatter to me and gives me the option of rolling up the tone knob if I find I need a little cutting power on the fly.

6. I pretty much start any gig with flat tone and adjust according to the room, the song, my mood....:smug:

7. "always"??? hmmm... that's one of those keywords on quizzes to make you say False....

I usually do but it depends on the tone ur searching for... some parts i might want to cut some high end, play with my thumb at bottom of the neck *shrug*... but otherwise, yes, usually i do

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    With a passive bass, usually yes.

9. i did once ,with a Hohner bass i had.

10. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Never here..i have two passive Fenders one a 5 one a 4 and the tone control on the bass is my friend...i play in a classic rock band.

11. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    It depends on the instrument. I usually play passive instruments with volume and tone controls wide open. For active basses, I start with the tone controls flat and go from there.

12. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    all the way up?? wouldn't it sound more like a guitar at that point????? treble city eh?

:confused:

13. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    Depends entirely on the song.

14. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I played a Hohner the other day that I thought was fantastic. It was only 300$ used. It had 2 J pickups, one slanted, and a huge bridge by "Steinberger design". It had an LED for indicating when it was active or passive (I assume). The action was fantastic, the neck was fast, if I had another 120$ I would have bought it.

On my cruddy Fernendes P I always had to have the tone knob at full treble so you could hear what note I was playing until I replaced the pickup with a *sigh* Fender Japan pickup, and I gotta say, the thing sounds 400x better. Maybe Fender has something going for it in the aftermarket parts area. :)

I now play with the tone knob matching what style I want. Full treble is a bit evil to my ears on the much better Fender pickup, so I keep it about 50%.

15. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    oh..so its like if you turn the turn knob down on a crappy pickup the sound will be muddy and if you max a good pickup the sound will be like sharp and articulated?

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My passive basses are always run with the volume and tone knobs full on!

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I HATE the sound of my bass with the tone all the way up - Way to clanky and trebly. I usually have mine set at 25% with the neck pick up at full and the bridge pick up at 50%. I have a slight boost of the on board pre amp too, usually like 10-20%..The Spectors pre amp is reeeal hot!

18. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    everything on 10 here:bassist:
    and no eq on amp:bag:

with passive basses offc :p

19. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    Mine stays all the way up, but I usually have the Vintage Loud Speaker knob on my Little Mark 2 up at least to 10 o'clock.
    Weee I love that knob!

20. on my rick i have everything up full except the neck pickup tone, which is all the way down.

if i want brighter, i just solo the bridge.

hooray for pickup selectors.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021