Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who here as an Ampeg Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chap, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Im considering getting an Ampeg rig, like 1X15, 4X10's and a head. What type of Ampeg head is good for me? (Playing metal music.):confused:

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well I have ampeg in my rig... a BXT 410HL cab.. it is most woderfull.. tone tone tone... and weight.. this thing weight 130lbs... but I can handle the weight...

4. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I have been using a Ampeg B2R 200 watts@ 8ohms 350watts @ 4ohms and 2x12 and 1x15 cabinet
    in an old school Rn'B Funk band since 1999. I have found this amp to be very reliable and solid. I have NOT found a stage in CNY that was too large for this rig. Considering you and your band might be a little louder than mine, IMO, I'd be looking at maybe the SVTpro 3, cause it's 350watts@8 ohms and 450watts @4ohms. Best to you, keep thumpin'

5. I have the B2 head and 4x8 cab (cab is discontinued). For metal, I'd consider the B2 head and 8x10 cab, or all-tube SVT and 8x10 cab. Actually, you may want to consider 500 watts or more if you go solid state; though the all-tube SVT would work fine. My .02 .........

6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Ampeg B2r and 8x10 classic. The sound is sweet to your ears. I have played in several 'meatal' bands and the sound competes with 2 100 watt marshal guitar cabs.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ampeg rig here.:D

SVT4 Pro head
    (2) SVT410HLF cabs

I play everything from country to metal through it, and literally just about everything in between. Sounds killer.

8. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I would avoid the SVT-3. Great tone hands down but lacking in power. The weakest 450w I have ever heard.
    I use the SVT-4 Pro (1600w bridged) and the 6X10 cab. Very Juicy tone with power to spare. Ampeg makes some fine gear.

9. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    I am using my SVT '72 with 8x10 '76 all the time with my rock bands. :D :D :D

The other Ampeg I use are SB12 '65 for jazz and B15-S '72 occasionally.

I am kinda looking for a suitable cabinet for V4 I bought last summer from a pawn shop (sweet deal!). Any ideas here? I could use my SWR ext. Basic2Way that I use at the moment with SWR Redhead (the older model).
    Any feedback is welcome?

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a B4r head with 2 BSE410hlf cabs.... great tone!

P@

12. I use a b15s and b40 4x10, both from the late sixties for my upright..TONE!!!!

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I'm using an Ampeg SVT3-Pro through a Peavey 15 bottom and have no complaints tone or volume wise.

14. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    This is true. I currently use the SVT-3...the tone is absolutely marvelous...but when at larger venues when I need to run a 2nd cab...I have to use the preamp out of the SVT to another amp to run the second cab. You might as well step up in the Ampeg line to get the power you need out of one box.

Mikey/

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I am kinda looking for a suitable cabinet for V4 I bought
    Any feedback is welcome?

How about an 2x10 on top a 15-both SVT Classics.
    Yipe- I want it NOW!

(I use MY V4BH w/ a SVT-48HE-
    Put on "Ultra High/Low", and/or the "Presence"
    awitch-
    Bassists fall to their knees in reverence to the TONE
    that some mastermind at SLM engineered.
    Really- With a Sterling, until you hear this rig, you ca't imagine how pristine the bass can sound--
    Errrrrrrgghhh! As good as sex...(well, almost).
    When I add a SVT-15- don't get me started!:D

16. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I am really diggin' my rig.

Ampeg B5R head and 410HLF cab with a Carvin 2x10 for little jazz rigs or tilted for a front monitor.

I like it. :D

17. titanic_tony

titanic_tony

Aug 17, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I am using a 1973 Ampeg V-4 into a 1978 SVT cab. Super tones, plenty of power. I put JJ/Tesla 7027A's into the V-4. Sounds brand-new.

Tony

18. SVT CL atop an 810E
    SVT-II with an SVT50Pro
    SVP-BSP/SVP-Pro with Pro 410HLF and Pro15

I also own an old B-15 head with a B25B 2-15" cab

Ampeg rocks!

19. I play a B2 combo with 4-8" speakers and a horn and have a 1 X 15" extension cabinet for larger stages/venues. I have been using it for a couple of years and it is the best sounding rig I have ever used, hands down. For years I carried an SVT 3 Pro head and various 4 X 10" and I X 15" cabinets and I can tell you that my current rigs sure seems louder than the SVT 3 despite the wattage specs. The B2 is a great sounding amp whether in combo format or the rackmount format (B2R).

20. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    Another one here:

Ampeg SVP-Pro Pre into an old PV-CS1200* Power Amp into 2 - SVT 410-HLF cabs. I rarely need both cabs, but I just can't say enough good things about the cabs or the pre.

*I'm jealous of all you "light" Power Amp users, mine weighs in at 80 pounds out of the rack! Someday it will die and I'll get to buy a new one!