1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who here can do a refret?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by trunkshope6, May 12, 2011.

1. Hey calling all qualified luthiers, I have a vintage stingray that I've decided is going to the grave with me, id like to have it refretted for improved playability and have already come to the conclusion that I have some slight high frets, and instead of crowning already vintage frets, id rather do a refret and have that peace of mind of numerous years without any fret issues.So I. have some local shops that are giving me quotes , but id rather give some fellow tber my business,so if anyone can do a refret on my neck id love to hear from u and some price quotes

2. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    I am not sure if this falls within the don't ask don't tell policy of tallkbass, but damit some of us want know!!

3. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    I for one am willing to pay the price for precision work..Close tolerances clean work. Can you deliver the goods mate..

4. Lol I know there are really good luthiers on here including john k but I'm too lazy to find them out of the woodwork

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Sorry guys, you are stuck doing the pming, we as commercial users cannot quote prices or contact tb'ers about work, you have to find the luthier and pm them, or we get banned. Best of luck.

6. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    DO I have this right? I can contact you, but you can't contact me.. Hmm...

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yeah, if we contact you, it is considered Commercial solicitation, and is against the Commercial Users Policy here, and most of us here abide by the rules as TB has provided a great vehicle for us to exchange ideas, and openly discuss our work. there are a couple of sticky's that have access to builders and some examples of their work, many are in the "who are you" thread, there are also a ton of builds here.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Look for a Plek shop. :) There're a ton of them now.

9. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    It's a repair question, so off to S&R we go...

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If you have just a few frets that are misbehaving, I would counsel you to have a level/recrown done, rather than a full refret. Often, customers will think they need more work than is necessary, this being the biggest offender. A good repairperson will be able to give you back an instrument that will play better than it ever has, or you ever imagined that it could--and without the use of a six-figure German CNC machine!

If you have a ski jump at the end of the neck, then it is best to have a refret done, along with sanding out the ski jump, before the refret.

11. Hey thanks a lot for the info I'm meeting a mentioned luthier today hope were able to fix it