Who here didn't start on a P bass or P copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Since the P-bass is considered the industry standard for simplicity, and it seems to be what lots of people learn on, I was wondering who didn't start on one?

I started with a Baltic Blue Squier P-Bass Affinity series that came with the Bass Pak. I still have it, except it is fretless and I sanded the paint off.

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I started on an Ibanez Fender Jazz Lawsuit copy.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i started on a epi tbird
  4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    My first bass was a JOhnson J bass. I can't stand the sound or feel of P basses.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I didn't have a P until about 1.5 years into my playing career. I started on a Dean Edge 4, played that for about 6 months, then sold it to put $$$ toward my G&L.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I did... My first was Mako p-bass copy, the only thing that was wood was the neck.... for $40, $60 for the amp.
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Raven EB-1 clone. Piece of poop.
  8. Me. It was an Aria Pro II PJ copy!
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Kawai no-name...

Probably not nearly as bad as I remember... it was my first intro into truss rod adjustments, back before there was any information available...

"What's this do?"

"I dunno... seems a little loose"

"Better tighten that sucker up then!"

It was stolen on the first gigi that I ever played. I scored this pair off of ebay and am in the process of restoring them...

10. 70s japanese generic jazz bass copy.
  11. I started on a 74 rickenbacker 4001, because thats what my dad had, he now has a 99 American fender jazz and a early 80's USA schecter P-bass, which he has since givin to me.
  12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Looks like a Burns ripoff.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First bass was a 2000 Ibanez SR400. Used Ibanezes for years, now getting into Stingrays, and going back to VINTAGE P-basses.
  14. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Started on my dad's '74 Jazz. He sold it some time ago to a Japanese collector.
  15. Started on a Squire P bass Special.
  16. i started on a used gibson explorer. yes, i wanted to be james hetfield, but needed to play bass because no one else would. i immediatly fell in love with the bass as an instrument, and i'm glad i "had" to do that! :D :bassist:
  17. I started in the mid-60's on a cheap Hofner Beatle Bass imitation. The body eventually collapsed. Then came the Hagstroms...
  18. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i started on a nice spector, one of the ns4a's i beleive. Way nicer than a beginner bass but i havent sold it yet so theres sumting to be said for buying a good bass and holding on to it.
  19. My first bass is a Fender MIA JB, this bass will never leave my side. Guess there's something special about your first bass.
  20. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    My first bass was an old 60s Eko. It had two single coil pickups, but it wasn't Jazzish... It had the pickup selector on the top horn. It was plywood. Neck heavier than the body. Sunburst. Heck, I have no idear what it could be compared to... It's pretty much like nothing but other Ekos... ;)