Who here doubles on BG at a Gig? I got ???'s

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Phil Smith, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've got a gig coming up and I flirting with the idea of doubling on the BG. I figure most of the stuff I'll be playing I will do on the DB, but there are a couple of funky tunes that I would like to do on BG. How do you folks usually handle this? The set list is constructed in such a way that I probably won't be doing more than two consecutive tunes on BG. Is it even worth bringing the BG?
  2. If its an upright gig, I try to make the funky tunes work on upright. This is mostly because I'm lazy and I hate hauling around and messing with equipment.

But it is a different mindset/technique playing funk on the upright as opposed to electric. I've sometimes found when playing the upright that I can be twice as funky with half as many notes.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What LOOKING FOR MIKE said. If it's only a couple of tunes, I usually don't feel it's worth the trouble. The exception is my original group, where we have a couple of tunes that I physically just can't play on DB because of the tempo and what my part is supposed to be. For that, I take my Smith. KEN Smith, that is.
  4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Its going to be tricky, because after a couple of songs is usually when you get your sound dialed in for a particular room, and by the time you get your BG sounding good, you'll be switching back to DB.

If you do, I would at least get a multiple input DI like the Raven Labs MDB1 or better yet, have a two channel amp, or pump your DB through an entirely different amp (or the PA) than the BG. Otherwise, you will end up compromising your DB settings all for a couple of tunes.

Sometimes I play shows where the converse happens - I end up only playing a few songs on the DB, but this is totally setlist specific, and usually not decided till game time, and since our overall repetoire is about 50/50, I have both ready to go at all times. Its definitely not a joy from a gear perspective, but I end up with a decent sound from both.
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Mixed Notes Cafe in Elmont, NY.
  6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    a keyboardist friend uses a stereo volume pedal to switch between organ and fender rhodes. i understand that there's a setting on it that pans between right and left channels (?) and he has one plugged into each and uses it to a/b them. i think it's an Ernie Ball.

i imagine the same pedal would work for taking two bass inputs and a/b'ing them into a single amp input, but if you needed to change amp settings for your different axes (which seems likely) you'd have that extra trouble to go to.

sean p
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I have a K&K Dual Channel Preamp which allows two bass singles to go in an one or a combined signal to come out. I've used the K&K in a situation when I was playing electric and another bassist was playing upright and it works pretty good when you only have one amp. I've also been experimenting using a microphone and pickup, lately it has been working good at rehearsals.
  8. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've done this and I use my trusty Raven Labs MDB-1. It's a brilliant piece of gear. Three inputs (which lets me switch between fretted, fretless and real basses), with independent volume control for each, plus a DI out and effects loop. You won't regret it.