Who here had a P, then wanted a J, or vica versa?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gregory, May 3, 2004.

1. I have a black American Standard P-bass and I absolutely love it. But sometimes I play my dad's MIJ '62 reissue J-bass and it makes me want a J-bass really badly. I think in the future I will get a black American standard J-bass and then I will be set for life. Just a random thought from yours truly. Anyone else been in this predicament before?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I had a 70 something natural P-Bass, & then wanted a J...

Time passes, don't have the P anymore, but never did get a J... :\
  3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love my J's, but whenever I hear a P on a recording, my GAS goes out of control, so I go play some, and don't like them. It's very odd. Perhaps I'm just used to the J-style neck... I've only played 1 P recently that turns me on. It's a Mightymite/Warmoth parts bass at my local music shop, for $450. It would fufill all my P-needs, and it would exactly match my J (Black body, black/white/black pickguard, rosewood board).
  4. I'll admit, I love that skinny J neck. But whenever I go back to playing my P from my Dad's J, it just feels smoother and more refined. I think it's partly just me unconsciously taking up for my own bass, and also mine is MIA and his is MIJ so there are slight differences like my edges are rolled really smoothly etc.

I still want me a black J with a white pickguard to match my P!!
  5. I picked up an American P and an American J on the same day in December.

In my opinion the Jazz plays easier and is a more comfortable feel (Neck, Body). But the P sounds a little better to my ears.

I can get tones from my Jazz that I can't get from the P but my jazz can't duplicate my P exactly either.

Take it from a guy who has owned almost 15 basses looking for my tone. Buy a Good Fender P and Jazz and never get rid of them. I think the Jazz is a little more versatile, and if I could only have 1 bass I guess it would be her, but I find myself playing the P-bass on more gigs/rehearsals than the Jazz for the tone. I love both, but my P-Bass through my Eden rig is like bread and butter.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've always been a P-bass guy. I've owned a couple of J's, but never kept 'em for long. J's have their own sound which cannot be exactly duplicated by a PJ bass, but a PJ is close enough for me if I need the funk/growl.

Overall, the reasons I prefer P (or PJ) to JJ are:
    1) Playability
    2) Tone
    3) Looks

That said: seems to me that most Fenderphiles say that everyone should own a P *and* a J. :)
  7. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I would like a PJ for versatility and to get some Pbass tone. Main bass will be a Jazz. A Pbass wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't trade it for either of the other two. Plus, the bassists I really enjoy almost all play a Jazz.

I watched a band on TV the other day. Loved the bass tone in one of the songs (originally on a 60s Jazz bass). When they played on TV, he was playing it on a P bass and I hated it. Completely changed the tone.
  8. I have a PJ.

Now I want a real P and real J.

I think I can feel a P-bass groove better with a BIG BLOCK OF WOOD in my left hand.
  9. What about the Stu Hamm Urge II bass, seems like you should theoretically be able to get both tones with this one!

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nah, the P-bass pup isn't in the same spot on the Urge as it is on a P-bass. But, nothin' wrong with 3 pickups IMO.
  11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I want this
    [​IMG] or this [​IMG]

But I need this

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Greg: I have the black jazz bass with maple neck you posted above. I have been in your position so I bought one of each. I like the tone of the j but it sounds thin and weak next to my p bass. Im thinking about selling the jazz and getting a G&L L2000! :bassist:
  13. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a J now and am fiending for a P. Im thinking of going with a Lakland Skyline Glaub
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My first bass was a MIM jazz and then i wanted a P so i got an Essex fretless one but now i kinda want a MIJ jazz special (mix of two, my fav parts of each too).
  15. Selling it???? What's the price range?
  16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I might... actually Im pretty sure I want to. To entice you a little, there is some birdseye on the back of the neck! :smug:
  17. price price price.... ive got some cash i need to spend. it was gonna go to my car, but if i can get a good deal on a black american j-bass, teh car will have to wait.
  18. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ill send you a PM
  19. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    i had a us precision and bought a mim jazz as a second bass for gigging. i found myself playing the mim jazz more and now is my main bass...albeit modded a little ;)