1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who here has a "junker" bass that they drag around?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Burrigible, Feb 23, 2008.

1. When I aquired some newer, better basses, I decided to fix up my first bass, a Squire P-Bass. I sanded it down and got new pickups, bridge cover, finger rest and pickguard, but I never went through with painting it (I actually put a "test coat" of orange latex paint so I could see what it would look like, but it's not all removed yet) and now I just carry it wherever around the house (say if I want to get funky whilst eating at the dinner table or on the john) just to reduce risk of damaging my nicer ones. Is there anyone else who does this? If so post pics!

She's a beaut', ain't she?

Attached Files:

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That bass is epic.

3. I know! Something interesting about it is that, with the pickups/electronics removed, the cavity inside gives off a suprising amount of volume. Which is perfect because, well, you know... no pickups and what have you.

4. I built, what was supposed to be a junker. It turned out to be a playable tone-monster. I have a bad habit of getting attached to basses and bringing the best out of them. I don't think I would ever be able to own a junker.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You are in the squier club though right?

:bag:

I keed I keeed

6. I wear my badges proudly :smug:

I'm talking about my Hondo rebuild.

7. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    I bought a left handed P bass copy on eBay for 40 bucks and it was barely worth that. I gave it to my repair guy. He sanded down the 2x4 of a neck, ripped out the frets and redid the fingerboard to make it fretless. He reshapped the headstock, it had a weird star thing on the end, so he carved it down to look a little more Fendery. Then he replaced the pick ups with 59P bass RI's, put a new pickguard on it... It is my best bass these days. I use it for nearly every I do. It sounds and plays great. I hate to admit, but it sounds better than my 66 J bass.

Andy

8. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I recently modded a Yamaha fretless by breaking the nut in half. Now its perfect for those times when using an E or A string would just be showing off.

9. My wife recently bought me a $100 acoustic bass from national music supply on ebay. I am pretty please with it! I use it for plunking around the house and whatnot. Plugged in it sounds like you farted in a tin can. I might redo the electronics with a preamp and mic to blend between the piezo and the mic someday but until then I am very happy.

CB

Ps: this bass is SMALL. I think they put a bass neck on a guitar body.

10. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    That actually had me giggling out loud. Unfortunately my doesnt appreciate the humour in it

11. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I have the same bass as you - it actually sounds all right! Must be the duct tape adhesive...

Maybe I should "relic" it?