Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who here has eaten a cicada?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, May 23, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Last night. Cast party for middle school musical I am the musical director for. Cicadas abound. Of course there were dares made, and many of us stood up to the challenge. Crunchy, a little chewy after the first few bites. No real flavor.

Good times :D

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC crickets are eaten fairly reguarly in some parts of Asia (ie Thai markets etc). I'm not sure if they are the same as cicadas.

I'll pass....

3. Would they be better with buffalo sauce type deal? Maybe fry them up a little.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I just couldn't do it. I wouldn't feel right because the bug would've waited 17 years underground, only to come out and then be quickly shoved in my mouth. :rolleyes:

I'm happy just eating worms.

We'll see how I feel when Brood XIV comes to my area in 2008... :p

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    my friend ate a couple. i might at some point, im just afraid theyre gonna fly in my hair.

theyre everywhere, today they were deafaning, and my dog finally decided he liked them

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Nick, Middle schoolers made you eat a bug. :rollno:

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I've never eaten a cicada but I've eaten Witchety grubs plenty of times. Traditional native Australian food fried over an open fire. Crunchy and remarkably tasteless.

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Nah, the challenge came from another director, a middle school teacher. And I could just have easily said no like some of the others. I was the one daring the middle schoolers eat the bugs :D

Don't hate because you can't swallow a bug. I guess you can't eat it though, seeing as it's not veggie or fish, you crazy pescitarian you, so I won't oppress your beliefs. :rolleyes:

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    :eek: Looks tasty!!! :D

10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    They're OK. I wouldn't want to have to live on them though.

11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree with that. I'd eat them once or twice, just because. They can't harm you. If they've been doing it for ages in Native Oz... well... when in Native Australia.... ;)

12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Very true. My grandfather grew up on the land in rural Western Australia eating whatever they could catch.

Nowadays it's just a good way to freak out tourists ;)

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're thinking of Cambodia. The reason they eat Bugs is because Pol Pot tried to starve them out of existence at one stage. They had to survive somehow.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    actually, I eat what I want when I want, and I have never held a diet based on beliefs. You may remember why I was a pescatarian, "because I wanted to try something different" ;)

and, in 5th grade science class we made cricket pizza and meal worm cookies :D

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My gecko rather likes crickets. Not sure he'd know what to do with something as large as a cicada, though.

Might have to find out, although if he doesn't kill it soon after I put it in there I'm taking it out. He's loud enough barking and carrying on without a buzzing accompaniment.

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    350 degrees for 5 minutes. A bit of a nutty flavor. Dip them in your favorite sauce. Healthy snack, high in protein.

Also...
    Get them right after they shed on the tree and they look white. Without the exoskeleton they are more tender. You can saute them in a white wine and garlic cream sauce.

17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Cicadas are in the shellfish family. Think of them as small flying lobsters. People with shellfish allergies also react to cicadas. FYI

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A. Cicadas are insects

B. Lobsters are crustaceans

C. Shellfish (clams, oysters) are molluscs (edit: "Shellfish" refers to crustaceans too, and things like starfish and sea urchins).

:D

It does seem to be true, though, that if you have shellfish allergies you should not eat cicadas.

19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    OK, they may not be in the same "family" like say dogs and wolves but I heard somewhere, TV possibly, that they are related. Just thought I'd pass along the allergy info.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, cool.

[just messing with you mode]

Humans and dogs are more closely related to each other than insects and crustaceans are to each other. Molluscs are even further away.

:D

[/just messing with you mode]