1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who here has ever been to Montreal, QC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jamiebass, Aug 13, 2007.

1. What struck you the most? Apart from the French....

2. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Strangely enough, for me, it was all the people who could speak English.

My previous experience of Canada had been visiting my grandparents in a little town called Lambton in the Eastern Townships between Sherbrooke and Quebec City - my Pepere could speak English; but not my Memere and hardly anyone else.

I haven't been to Montreal in over 30 years; I need to go back.

3. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    I live there

4. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Yeah, me too.

1974 or '75 with the Osmonds . . .

Met a BEAUTIFUL girl who lived across the river. She didn't speak ANY English and all I could figure out from the phrase book/French-English dictionary was "Are you hungry?".

I saw her a couple more times, in Toronto, at her home (in her township - it was out in the country, across the river) and in Vancouver, BC IIRC.

I wish I could at least remember her NAME . . .

EDIT: Oops . . . we DID play in Montreal on that trip, but all those memories were from a girl who lived near QUEBEC CITY . . . that's the town with the old fort up on the hill overlooking the river, right?

5. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    BTW, sorry about our "scuffle" yesterday, Jamie . . .

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've been there. What struck me was all the strip clubs...

7. All good Gramps ;)

8. I was in MTL in 89, or 90.

Clean, quiet, useful public transport, tiny food servings, mad bass in the sound system at Fufon Electronic (sp?), the extension cords hanging out of the front of the cars, the weird mole people way you can stay underground for miles. Nice town, I wanted to take it home, and plop it in the middle of Frisco Bay.

9. Yeah when I was up in Ottawa I had to get an educational lesson on why they had the extension cords hanging out of the front of the grills on most cars.

I had never even heard of that before.

10. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    It's to plug in to charge up the battery so it starts easier in winter

11. Well I know that now, I was just saying that I had no clue about it before I had gone up to Ottawa.

12. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That is incorrect. They power a block heater, which heats the oil and also facilitates fuel vapourization when the engine is first started. It has nothing to do with the battery.

13. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    ahhh whatever, we don't have one but now I know correctly, thank you for correcting me:)

14. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Last time I was there was in 2004, when I stayed there for a week.
    Had great fries, great pie, so so Chinese food. Liked practicing my French. Nice town...not much else to say.

Marshall

15. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    I went to Montreal in 8th grade. It just made me realize how much Montreal sucks compared to Quebec from a tourist's point of view. Of course, if I went now, I would get drunk at some random place and have an awesome time, and be raving about how awesome it was.

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Never been there. Never heard of it. Where is it?

17. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    ^ Lol.

Great place, and my god the poutine was spectacular.

18. I've been there several times for the Canadian GP. Very nice looking city, and Crescent Street is loads of fun during race weekend.

19. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I like Montreal. I haven't been there for a few years now, but as I recall people smoked like it was a religious choice. Oh, and you can buy maple syrup pie there.

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My wifed loved it because (like Holland) they serve mayo with the pomme frites. I liked the strip clubs myself. :D