Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who here has gotten the best deal ever?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm curious to know who on these forums thinks that he/she has gotten the best musical equipment deal in the history of deals. What, where, how, how much etc.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you mean like a string endorsement and prices on basses that you can only dream of ? ;-)

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, I 've gotten a bunch of stuff over the years for FREE because at the time it was considered worthless (then years later it became a desirable "vintage" item).

The only thing better than free is to get paid to take something :D

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As a consumer, I once bought a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 for $799.00 @ GC. It was during one of those holiday sales. As an endorsing artist, I'm not at liberty to say. Sorry.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I think that $200.00 for a 1974 P-bass is a good deal, don't you.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    DAMN good deal! A good friend of mine got a 70's era P Bass for $150.00! I hate him! :D

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I scored a 1969 Marshall Plexi head with a matching 4x12 with Celestion greenbacks in it for $50. Do I win?

8. I got a rock.

Thread over.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think that Brad Johnson would win this, but I'm not sure.

10. Got a Hartke 410VX brand new for $250 shipped from Florida...

11. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Benjamin, I'm trying to strangle you through the internet right now.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    ack! gasp! cough!! .... whew... Vader?

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Somebody I know got an old, beat up Yamaha bass amp for sex.

*Boom chikka wow wow*

14. And people say that the world is going to crap....

+1 for the human race.

(more sarcasm to follow)

15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    That is not that good of a deal...

My friend got a 1974 Jazz and Fender Bassman 4x10 (Silverface) combo for $175...
    But I've gotten good deals on things, not really amazing though... I bought an awesome amp for $20, 220W head... um... I got a Skyline 55-01 for around $275 in good condition, etc.

16. I'd say it was considering shipping woulda been a crapload.

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, my deal of the week is Bill Bruford's Earthworks, "Footloose and Fancy Free" 2CD set, like new.

.75 cents

....but yeah, Brad'll probably win. Please tell all!

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I needed an 8 space rack so I found an ad for a guy selling 2 of them for 60 bucks. I went over to pick them up and the guy was pretty cool. He threw in a dual 31 band eq free! I kept one rack, sold the other for $50 and the eq went for $100.

Then I got a Ken Smith bass for sex. :D
    OK not really. Not yet.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A buddy got a mid 50s P-bass at an estate auction for $200 two years ago.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ahhhh, my favorite story to tell. While walking out of Guitar Center one day my girlfriend said, "Joe. Isn't that a Streamer there that they're selling for $499.00?" :eek: It was, indeed, a Streamer Pro M. Burgundy. The one I always wanted. The one that normally used to sell for around $1,400. It was brand new - I grabbed it and asked every salesperson in the store what was wrong with it. Nobody seemed to know anything about the bass. I checked it out. The gold hardware looked a little tarnished, the knobs were all loose, it needed a setup and the battery was half dead. I took it home and made love to it all night with my screwdriver, allen wrench, and guitar polish. Ever bit of dirt came off, the bass was absolutely flawless. My belief is that they simply couldn't sell it because it was too expensive and they never nurtured it the way a Warwick should be nurtured. Either that or an idiot manager mistook it for a Streamer standard when looking in his computer for a blowout price.

Anyhoo.... used it a couple of weeks, then decided I liked my Corvette better and sold it instantly to a very happy buyer for $1000.