1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who here has had a stage trick go wrong? (Vid link)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Mar 22, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    I like the drummer watching it fly! LOL

2. I jumped off the bass drum once and had the wireless bug fly out of my bass killing all output! Luckily I had thought ahead and quickly ripped the 1/4 inch input going into my wireless receiver and plugged it into my bass. I was only gone for about one bar, but embarrassing nonetheless!

3. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Last week, we had a wednesday night church service. My band learned this new song that had a break right before you hit the downbeat of the chorus. We decided that we were all going to jump during the break and land on the downbeat. We've done it during practice and we even did it on at a show the weekend before. The twist to this one was the drums were on a drum riser, so I had something to jump off of. I never practiced doing that. So the service started and that was our 1st song. We all nod at each other to confirm we were all going to do it together. The break comes. I take off running, jump onto the edge of the riser, bounce off, and fly backwards across the stage. It was epic.... until I landed. When i landed, I lost my balance, tripped over my bass stand and landed flat on my back. Everyone in the crowd lost it, I lost it, and everyone in the band but the singer and piano player lost it hahahaha. Funniest thing I've ever done on stage.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    that was awesome. Thanks!

5. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    "Is there a luthier in the house?"

Ah, some duct tape and he's back before they start "Smokin In The Boys Room" :bassist:

6. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I should have brought those straplocks

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    classic picture titled:
    ByeBye P-Bass
    1149452566_5aec3269a8_o.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't do stage tricks. I've seen too many pics/vids like these.

If I had an endless supply on money things might be different.

9. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Indeed, get some straplocks man.

Never had anything like that happen to me, but that video was pretty funny and gnarly at the same time.

10. ZedZed

ZedZed

May 15, 2011
    That looks like the Sasquatch festival.

11. I tried to do the Victor Wooten/80's hair metal guitar flip with my bass, wearing a cotton t-shirt and using a suede strap, forgetting that suede and cotton are very grippy together. I looked like a tangled mess and got stuck in the middle fo a song. lol

12. I jumped off the stage mid-song with my double bass during a rockabilly gig to go mix with the dancers. I was wearing brothel kreepers with 2" soles, and rolled and sprained my ankle as I landed. I saw stars in front of my eyes from the pain, but only missed about two beats and managed not to drop my bass. Finished the song leaning against the stage and finished the gig sitting on a bar stool (not a good look in a rockabilly band! )
    Same band, the singer had a 100ft cable, and would go into the audience and jump up on chairs and tables. One table collapsed under him and he ended up flat on his back on the floor. He never missed a word, and stayed spread-eagled on the floor for the rest of the song.

13. I was playing a high energy chilli peppers tune (can't remember which) and my drummer lost a stick. Wouldn't you know it, it slid right under my foot while I was mid air in a jump. When I landed it rolled my foot right out from under me!! I finished the chorus and got up for the next verse. Man! What are the chances??

14. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, with a move like that, when you compare what could go right with what could go wrong.... Just keep that baby where it is. LOL

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    moved to Bass Humor.

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I had something go wrong but it turned out right. I was onstage playing in Japan and had consumed too many beers prior to going onstage. We were into the third song when it hit me. The sudden and very strong urge to void. I started to panic real bad. I was using an extremely long cable and there was a curtain behind us. I kept playing in time, kicked the curtain out of the way and there was a door behind the curtain. I hit the lever, kicked the door open and it was the back alley to the building. I kept playing while doing my thing and did not miss a beat. When I came from behind the curtain, the lead singer was looking in my direction. I just shrugged my shoulders and kept playing and there was no problem. This could have turned out real ugly. After that, I never consume more than one drink or beer before going on.

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Sorry about that. I didn't see your move indicator before I wrote the message. I guess you could move this to bass humor.

18. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY

That would have looked even more strange to someone in the alley with some guy just stepping out the door playing bass while puking.

LOL