Who here has succesfully broken a peavey amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    And yes, I mean on purpose. No, I do not mean dropping it.

I mean running it at ohm's it shouldnt be ran at, over powering it, cranking the lows, etc....

How many of you have accidently or purposely done this to a Peavey?
  2. i played bass into a guitar amp with all knobs dimed and two distortion pedals dimed, the amps speaker has never sounded the same since. it wasnt even mine but the guitarist it belonged to is tone deaf or something.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA

...And this post makes it so!
  4. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I once borrowed my HS' TNT115 for a little gig, and when I brought it back, during rehearsal I got this really muddy sound. Not the usual "muddy", I mean it as though it were in a puddle of mud. It barely picked up any sound, and I was beating the hell out of my bass. Then...

All of a sudden it goes back to normal. Since everything was dimed it scared the hell out of me (sitting on top of it) and everyone else in the room. It was like an explosion.

So, no, I've never anihilated a Peavey amp... I just thought I did without ever knowing why
  5. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I bought my Peavey Mark III from a pawn shop, and I effects loop needs a bridge. Not a big deal I guess. Also, the g**tar player who uses it (yes, a g**tar player!) had to take it in for service recently; I don't know what the matter was.
  6. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    hmm this wasnt peavey but when i first bought my bass i had this tiny tiny tiny practice amp made for guitar and i intentionaly played in front of my cousin untill it almost literaly(sp?) fell apart.
  7. Not personally, but I know someone who did. He was playing his bass through my high school's old (old old) Peavey keyboard amp at a long practice for a school musical. It sounded fine, actually. Well anyway, their was a thunderstorm, and some heavy lightening, and a power surge caught the amp and made it go wuuuuuuuuuUUMPP PAHP. Strangely enough, it only blew out some stage lights and the input jacks on the Peavey (there were four). You could make it work be giving it a solid kick to the front panel, though (seriously).

Eventually my guitar player and the new band director took it apart and replaced some wiring. It sorta worked after that.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I think the guy I lent my mostly-Peavey rig to in about 1982 may have blown everything on purpose. He took out 5 speakers, and a stereo power amp, and maybe some more stuff, can't remember. It was New Year's Eve,last song of the night, I was mixing his metal band, and we all laughed about it at the time. It took me a long time to collect on the recone jobs, but eventually the band paid up.
    RAWK !
  9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I wish. I had a Peavey I absolutely hated, and it just wouldn't die. It was the older TNT130, and it weighed just under 90 lbs. I dropped it at least three times (not on purpose), and it survived 4 months in a barn in subzero temperatures, without changing at all. Unfortunately. I'm glad it's gone.
  11. You just aren't trying hard enough. I can and have killed lots of Peavey equipment without abusing it. I've never understood their reputation for reliability. Don't mess with the Psycho death touch.
  12. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i thought i had killed a tnt 115 combo just from years of cranking it and playing drum machines through it loud and other dumb things you do with your first bass amp, but some kid asked about buying it the other day so i decided to try and get it working again, the input jacks would crack and pop and sound shorted out like a bad cord and it had a really muddy tone. all i did was open it up and lightly blow all the dust out of it w/ an air compresser then it was instatly better. the tone was way cleaner and the inputs wernt near as bad.

maybe next time...

Jason Smith
  13. I almost destroyed an old Peavey 260 combo (w/BW ''15). This was the second Peavey amp I'd owned (the first was a TNT150 and Iabused it also). I was purposely cranking the input gain to get distortion, something I often did (oh youth!). This particular time I had the volume almost dimed and was playing out-side with no PA support and singing vocals through it at the same time!!! All of a sudden, the sound started to cut out, then a loud POP! It only "kinda" worked after that. I took it to a tech friend. He pulled it apart, cleaned up the inside, made a few solder connections (I fried the DDT and input sections), re-coned the BW and gave it back in perfect working order for $75.

This experience pretty much solidified my trust in Peavey. I still use their products to this day. I have seriously abused many of their amps and the only times they have ever failed it was my fault and even then the problems have been few and far between. Like once I was running a CS1000X @ 2 ohms for 4 straight hours in 90 degree temps in full sun... it shut off! I was sure it was toast. I actually had to let the amp cool off before I could even touch it. After about 20 minutes I turned it back on and it worked just fine.:bassist: