1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who here is a fretless slapper?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Mar 25, 2006.

1. I am, just got into it, I've been listening to a lot of Primus lately, and keep getting inspired. I never realized how good this guy really is, but this isnt a Claypool thread.

How many of you guys do? What bass are you using and what strings? I'm using a Ibanez SR 190 with a Badass bridge, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups wired Volume-Blend-Tone. I've got a 95-40 set of I beleive Hartke Strings (which sound super surprisingly good, I got it set up by a guy and he jsut slapped a set on and i thought i saw him take a hartke box). My necks not epoxied, but it will need it soon, as I was told when i got it set up.

2. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    Yes I Do, Warwick Bass and DR 45-105 Flats. MEC PU's in my Wick.

3. I don't really do it(i'm just not good at it), but you should check out Michael Manring if you like fretless slap

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Doesn't that screw with your board?

5. I don't slap primarily, but I throw it in here & there. As far as 'screwing up' the thing, any playing puts some wear on instruments.:eek: One day it(& we)will all be dust; maybe some beautiful piece of music didn't make it to the air because I'm afraid to scratch up a repairable, dare I say, replaceable, piece of wood? :spit: , I say. Slap it. Slap it like it owes you money.

Edit: Back on topic, I have a passive Stambaugh 4 w/LaBella flats & a Stambaugh 7 w/Bartolini preamp(+ piezo bridge)& Ken Smith nickel rounds.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    How long does a bass last normally, without "screwing" with it?

Years and years? My opinion is that unless you are trying to make your particular bass a collector's item, then by the time it breaks, you can (hopefully) afford a new one anyway.

Kind of like how people say never to overclock your computer chip because it shorten's its life. Well, most people replace their computers every few years anyway, ESPECIALLY the ones who overclock their chips, so it's a moot point.

Don't get me wrong, I know that basses are totally different and you may never find one with the same feel to it as the one you are using, but that's like people who don't drive their new cars because it will ruin them.

7. I do. My neck isn't epoxied, but I don't seem to be doing any damage.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't tried it yet, but my bass is having a fretless neck built as we speak, and I specifically chose an ebony board with a polyester coating for good slap-resistance.

Are there any slap technique pointers that are specific to fretless?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Me as of lately.

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    I just got my '71 dan armstrong fretless rebuilt and i put a kent armstrong custom made humbucker in it. really cool sound when you slap. i do not consider myself a fretless player however. i'm trying to get better. although i do slap it when the bass makes a mistake. i dont make mistakes, the bass does and i'm sticking with that story.