1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who here is a programmer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Just want to know if there are many programmers who also play bass.

I program anything but games, 20 some languages, right now mostly database stuff because I love it.

So how many programmers also speak F Clef?

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I've been programming since I've been around 11. I just got a job that would like to move me into program development and I'm really excited about that. :)

We should be a club. lol.. :D

3. Not a programmer, as such.... A Unix engineer with some programming skills is shell, PERL, SQL, Cobol, etc. :D

4. Hey close enough.

Unix hey? Wow :) You mean you type?

Perl: remember when it was the language of the future for Web Dev?

It lasted... what... 6 months?

5. ManOnStreet

ManOnStreet

Oct 29, 2006
    Me, Java is my mainly language. :D. I also love Database Programming..

6. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    I haven't been doing any coding lately, as I've been distracted by bass! I started learning C# about two years back but switched to C++ shortly after. In C++ I started developing an asteroids kind of game using GLUT but that has stagnated. I spent most of my time making little modifications to the source code of the game Half-Life 2. I also used Lua to program weapons and gamemodes in a game called Garry's Mod. You could hardly call me a programmer...

7. jhay

jhay

May 6, 2008
    new with programming. only a year started 2008 using powerbuilder and possibly .net and will be learning sap/abap this year. count me in if there is a club *lol*

8. dantheman6690

dantheman6690

Aug 10, 2007
    also newish with programming but its part of my dual major, the other part being music tech. had a little java experience before college but this year learned PLT Scheme and more java.

9. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I know this post isn't directed towards me, but anyway...

I'm a Linux man myself... my main computer is Linux. I love shell programming. Cron is your friend. :)

lol Perl. I just had a very similar conversation with my friend. I've taken a few Perl classes over the years and know a decent amount about it but it's true... Where did perl go? It's all PHP and others these days.... Almost wasted credits if you ask me. :bag:

10. I wont start a club, I don't think clubs bring anything in the long run, except a stupid tag.

Just curious to hear what people do.

I mostly do C# these days, and lots, lots, lots of Transact-SQL, because I am about one of the few who know how to do database programming without wrecking the whole entire stuff (and sometimes I screw up like all of us).

The fun part is when I come home tired and mentally drained and my wife tells me I don't have a real job (although she likes the paychecks).

The not fun part is when I hear that "thanks to my work" a client could reduce their staff. Note: I only do my job and if the client wants to fire instead of reassigning to different tasks, what can I do.

11. jhay

jhay

May 6, 2008
    have you noticed? everybody who posted in this thread as of the moment now() *lol* is online! seems every programmer's bestfriend is his computer and internet *lol*

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

13. jhay

jhay

May 6, 2008
    alright ;)

i also do some transact sql's but im not as much of an expert :bawl: i hope you can give us youngsters with programming some tips. i love SQL scripting. do you know how to make stored procedures and how to apply them? thanks :)

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I make my living in bash connected to SunOS and Linux... lots of Oracle and MySQL. I wouldn't stretch to call my self a programmer... but I can script myself through the day fine.

15. I'm a programmer too and I'm working under linux , doing some graphic card driver things.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    programming (specifically developing a code generator in turbo pascal that wrote the code-behinds and event handlers for 350+ gui screens, among many other things) paid for my conklins in the 90s. the funny thing is that the programming that i needed to do this job, and subsequently purchase 10 custom basses and a big studio (and a house to put em all in) i taught myself on an apple ][e when i was in 10th grade. still, my ga tech e.e. degree got me in the door, so i can't complain :D.

i also did some vru (voice response unit) programming when i worked for a small long distance card company. that was neat - "press 7 for more strings". lol. did some asp stuff in the early 00's, developed some intranet stuff for pfizer, among other places.

been working on c#/asp dot.net 2.0 and some sharepoint stuff for the past 3 years or so, although i've been in a job lull for a year and a half. that's looking like it might change here though - got a bead on some things, thank god.

17. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I do a lot of different stuff - from C# to actionscript to bash shell scripts

18. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I used to be a kiddy programmer, dabbled in everything from BASIC in primary school to mirc scripts, visual basic etc, wanted to get into programming in a big way but my high schooling pretty much got shot and I had a very bad IT teacher that put me off... because we did our work in 5 minutes ended up goofing off more than anything...

since doing admin and all the frustrations with the databases we use I've pretty much gone against the hope of programming cos I like using computers but I hate troubleshooting and when anything goes wrong!

also finding myself with less spare time than when I was younger so try to devote that to bass knowledge and playing... fingers crossed I will have more success there!

that said, im envious of you guys!

19. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm an Aerospace Engineer who uses C, Fortran and PERL daily, primarily on the UNIX/Linux platform.

20. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    I have been programming with a lot of languages in the last 25 years. My favorite is still Smalltalk but I really like Groovy these days. Groovy: that name is perfect for a bass player, isn't it?

My current main interest is in data integration through data services. I have been working for Versant, an ODBMS vendor. Then I have created my startup that has been acquired by Progress Software last year.

I have contributed to several standards for Data Access like JDO, JPA, EJB3, SDO and DAS.