1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who here loves thier local tech?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 29, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    so yeah, who here loves thier local tech that works on thier bass. the guy that always works on my bass is sweet. since i work at the guitar store, the strings are free for me and he always sets it up for me. and my bass always comes out playing amazingly after he's done with it. today he even put about an hours worth of work into just getting the buzz to go away from my 12th fret on A string. gotta love local guitar stores and the amazing techs. who else has an amazing person that does all thier set ups and repairs?

2. That's pretty cool.

I like local because they rely a lot more on customer loyality, so therefore treat you quite good, as long as you remember them in the future. My local luther often does minor work for me for free or with no labour costs.

But the guy I prefer has left now. The guy who's still there is a bit incompetent. Every time he's touched one of my basses, somethings wrong. He's done some dodgy wiring for me (and for a friend who gave up after 3 attempts to get it rectified with him). Also he managed to **** up one of my strap locks.

I guy I like now works from home and I think does private work, but lives far.

3. If Doug and Billy at the Guitar Factory in Orlando, can't fix it, it's firewood.

John

4. djcorn

djcorn

Apr 20, 2006
    Atlanta GA
    Too Many Guitars, downtown Tucker Ga. Actually. I need to quit recommending these guys. My lil' secret...shhh...don't tell anybody in ATL. toomanyguitars.com

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I too do my own setup work most of the time but i know three very talented luthiers in my area that happen to be setupand electronics wizards so i go to them when i am stumped...usually, when i walk in the door i get something like "a-ha...what do i have to fix that you broke now ?"

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Where I live there's no such thing as a guitar tech. The local music shops know nothing more complicated than adjusting the truss rod, and they don't even do that anymore for you.

I had no choice really but to learn for myself, and now I've started an amateur business of charging people for me to set up their guitars and fix any problems they have.
    That means I'm the closest thing to a guitar tech around here.

But count me in, 'coz I love myself anyway ;)

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Mike Lull does my tech work. It's always of the highest quality and attention to detail. But he is expensive.

8. I haven't found any exceptional techs in st louis that can do a better job than I could...

thats why I sent my bass directly to Michael Tobias when I had a problem! Who needs someone local with customer service like that?

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

I haven't found any in Glendale, CA that amaze me + are affordable.

The guy who set up my Squier got 60 bucks off me and I got it back with action that wasn't to my liking.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Wolf Ginandes

Great Guy, Tech and Bass Player

Attached Files:

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm lucky enough to have three who I completely trust in Philly. One of my basses is a DiPinto Belvedere, which I can bring to Chris DiPinto's shop for excellent FREE setups. He totally rocks.

12. Exact same for me. Only major centers around here, that charge alot and the work is...meh. Not loving. One of my main reasons to join this forum was the lack of knowledgeable people/repairmen in my area. I'm glad I know though, and if something major does happen, I guess I'll look harder for someone.

13. Bob Warner - Warner's Guitar Shop - Edmond, OK

Although I do my own setups now, Bob is a magician when it comes to repairs and setups - even custom work.

14. Andy Viccars from Milton keynes - UK -

http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/

Totally top man, more of a friend than a service provider, does good reliable work and is not expensive.

I have a custom 5 fretless that he made which is superb.

Man how do you post pictures in here - I'd put a pic of it on?

Also drinks newcastle Brown Ale - top geezer!

Col

15. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    for my gear and for my money

my amps go to dan torres at torres engineering in san mateo ca, and my basses and guitars go to jeff (sorry jeff i don't recall your last name) the guitar tech in his shop

they are always on time, always a great job, always a fair price, and always accomodating,

for example more than one time i dropped off gear on a sunday morning and picked it up that afternoon

and i have been through my share of other amp and guitar techs

"playing for cash since 1965, have bass, will travel"

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mick Donner who was (or might still be) a top guy at Dean guitars is my setup dude. Charges next to nothing. He also does Jeff Berlin's basses! Top-notch fretwork.

I highly recommend him if you live in the Tampa Bay area.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Here on the front range in Colorado, I swear by Matt at Woodsong's lutherie in Boulder.