Who here playes a Reverend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I know they look kind of odd but I have not seen one bad review for the Reverend Rumblefish basses. The PJ looks like it might be just what I want.
    Pbass tone
    Less weight
    Better neck feel

If the reviews on Harmony Central are to believed the Reverend would be the perfect bass for a guy like me who is into old school sounds n music.

You guys that play em, tell me what kind of tone you get. All I'm looking for is big fat booty, I don't slap and have little need for lots of high end. I like to use Ti flats and often play with my thumb to get a fat upright like tone. Right now I have a MiM Jazz but I want something with a lil more bottom end and less weight

Its to bad I can't try one of these before making a decision on buying.
  2. I have had mine for about 2 years. Mine is not the PJ, it has 2 J pickups and a series/parallel/single coil mini-toggle switch (the Rumblefish XL). The neck is very much like that on a 1970's Jazz Bass, meaning that it feels great. I particularly love the series/parallel/single coil switch...in the series mode there is an incredible amount of smooth bottom. By the way, I bought mine used from the Harmony-Central classified ads and had never seen or played one before. The reviews there (H-C) are accurate; the basses are that good!
  3. I have the J/J model. I absolutely love mine. They are a lot more impressive looking in person than in the pictures. A much more solid bass than I had expected.

The tone is great, very big sounding. Mine is setup like a jazz bass with vol/vol/tone. I put some TI flats on it a while back but didn't really like the sound. With a set of DR low riders I get exactly what I like. It still sounds old school (deep and dark) but there is a nicer growl with the roundwounds.

I play it through an Ampeg B100R at home and a Sansamp Bass Driver at church. At church it doesn't cut through like my G&L 1500. It has a big, plush sound that fills the room with smooth lows. My fills aren't real defined but it works well.

You'll love it if you get one.

By the way, if you ever do get the urge to slap, it'll do it.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The reviews for Reverend Basses (and guitars) are for real.

I also own a Rumblefish XL. The construction, tone, and feel are all top-notch. IMO, Reverend makes the best bolt-on neck in the business.

If you want "Old School" tone, the Reverends will do it very well. I'm gigging my Reverend strung-up with D'Addario Chromes, and I can nail that "Old School" sound.

A few times while on a break at a gig, people have asked me what kind of bass I'm playing, and they ask how old it is. When I tell them it's a Reverend and it's only a few years old, they say, "Wow, I thought that was an old bass from the '60's or something".

Since I've been gigging my Reverend, I've never had more positive comments about the sound (and the look) of my bass (from other players as well as your average audience member).

I will be getting a second reverend sometime in the near future.
  5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Yup,if you want old school go Reverend. I've got a Brad Houser 5 with La Bella black nylons and it's the whip. Plenty bootey with no mud. I'll say it again, it's like an old J and/or P with air. It gets the people movin on the dance floor or boppin in thier seats. The necks are excellent and the tone is to die for. And yes they record well too.
    Happy Times,
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yes, yes yes yes yes yes.

I've had as many as three but have now settled down to two Revs. One 5L and one Brad Houser. Both of them can knock down Fenders at 50 paces.

I didn't much like the PJ I had, but then I'm not a P kind of guy. Played like a dream, it just sounded too much like a P bass. Heh heh, just not my thing anymore, I guess.
  7. Count,

This will hopefully be my next bass:

I talked to Joe 2 weeks ago; the XL model is no longer available.

Question: Can you get a more modern sound with it?

Also, can you get Volume/Blend as an option?

8. Nice color!

I bought mine used so I'm not sure if the blend knob can be had as an option. I plan to set mine up that way. I would much rather have a blend knob over two volumns.

I spoke to the Reverend folks recently and they said if I sent them my pickups and pickguard they would convert it to an XL for $50. It would probably be easy to do myself. I may try it sometime in the future.

I doubt you could get a good modern sound out of it. At least not what I consider modern. If you have a good external preamp you may be able to coax it in that direction but it's really not made for that sound. It is versatile, I think the tone will surprise you. When I think modern, I think Marcus Miller. It won't sound like that.

I find the best sound comes from a pretty flat EQ with the bass cut slightly. It has so much natural low end that it can get boomy if your not careful with your EQ settings.
  9. I have a Reverend Rumblefish with the J/J setup (before the XL Series was introduced I believe), and I love it. I'm currently using stainless steel roundwounds, so it can be plenty bright, but with the use of flatwounds and the tone knob I'm sure you could get the tone you want. It sounds, plays, and looks fantastic IMHO. I've received more comments about the sound and looks of this bass than any other (by far). Some of those comments were from fellow bassplayers I respect.

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    You absolutely cannot beat the Reverends for the money. They are rock solid and sound as good as any Fender that I've ever played. If you are looking for "old school" tone, these basses are simply amazing. Some folks do slap on their Reverends; It's not my cup-of-tea for slapping, but for fingerstyle warmth - you can't beat it!
  11. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Well, I have decided to order one. Now I have to just have to decide on a color! My wife loves the Lava Swirl but it be a lil over the top for when I go play a Jazz gig :D I might get that color anyway just to make people look and go *** is that!
  12. I think the gold and blue aluminum tops would look great, but that's just me. ;) Let us know what you think of the bass when you get it.
  13. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Dragonfly Green is good.

But this one gets a lot of attention.

Hey, get two, they're small! (Compared to, well, say, Buicks.)
  14. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I ordered my P-J 6 weeks ago today - I'm eagerly waiting for the email saying it's finished and been shipped. I went for a discontinued finish that they still had some of, the bugeye black:

I also always like the engine-turned aluminum:

I thought it looked a lot like fish scales, and was therefore appropriate for a Rumblefish. If they had other discontinued finishes you like (like Bovine's nice looking dragonfly green) call and ask - if they still have some around you can still get them. I originally went with gold but later decided since they still had some bugeye and it is my all-time favorite Reverend finish I had to spring for the extra to get it.
  15. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    They remind me of a very high quality Danelectro - nice hot output w/ plenty-o-beef... ;) I don't have a real need for one, but wouldn't mind acquiring the P/J at some point. :D
  16. I played some at a guitar show last weekend. I totally fell in love with teh J-J rumblefish. Awesome axe. The Houser 5 was nice too. They did not have a 5L there as I wanted to hear how that sounded compared to the rumblefish.
  17. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    How does the sound of the P/J compare to the J/J. Is it punchier, muddier, thicker, etc?