Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who here plays in a 3 peice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 22, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hello all.

I'm probaly going to be looking to join another band as soon as possible. While I would still join a 4 peice if one came up that I thought was good, I really have my heart set on a power trio. Mainly for two reasons.

The first being:

Money. If the band charged as much as the average 4 piece, that means I'll be walking away from the gig with more money. If the band charged less than the average 4 piece, that means that clubs would be a little more willing on hiring us when we are unknown.

The second being:

Being in a 3 piece, you would have to "rely" on each other more. If one person isn't there, there's no way to do the gig. A lot of times in my last band, our guitarist would just decide he didn't feel like playing the gig so he would stick us with a mediocre guitarist and our sound would suffer. (IMO that is) Then once, the mediocre guitarist didn't show up for a gig and our lead singer had to play lead, and we sucked hard that night.

I really would like to play some blues in the SRV/Albert Cummings/Kenny Wayne Shepard vein, in which a trio would work great. Or maybe do some classic rock stuff like Cream or CCR. Heck, my dad was even in a Country/Oldies band that was 3 piece and it worked out fine.

Just wondering who all is here that plays in a trio. What do you think about my ideas. You think a trio is the best way to go. (espcially for the style I want to do) What are your expierences.

2. I like it... you're given alot more room to "stretch out". However, if you have a weak link (in my case, a horrible drummer), its harder to 'cover up', so to speak.

For example, at our last practice we recorded ourselves jamming on a song I wrote.

I opened with a trippy sort of bass riff with weird timing.. about four bars later, I was off... I thought it was me. But when we listened to the recording, the drummer must have sped up 20 bpm in the space of a few bars! However, he and the guitar player are good friends, so it'd be difficult to get rid of him.

3. Well I'm supposed to be in a trio but lord knows out drummer can't be bothered to practise...so much so infact that I can drum better than him and I play guitar!!

I like the three piece bit though...everyone has more influence on what you play.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oooh, I adore playing in three-piece bands... I'm currently in two of them.

Here's a question: can you sing? I cannot, so I consider myself *extremely* fortunate to be a part of both bands. In my #1 band, we have a lead vocalist along with guitar/bass/drums. The guitarist and drummer also sing lead and backup, so they can do 3-part harmonies without me. My #2 band is only guitar/bass/drums, so the best they can do is 2-part harmonies.

Well, I have been practicing vocal backups with #2 band, but only very simple ones so far.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention the vocal aspect in case you hadn't considered it... it's a requirement for many bands. Good luck to ya!

5. I like 3 piece-bands. You need more skill. And it's a lot better dealing with only one Marshall stack than two. And for the most part, I don't see the point of having a singer who just sings. Play an instrument. Or at least hold one.

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Wow, put Albert King and Buddy Guy on that list, toss in some Jazz and you have the 3 piece I am in!

I like 3 piece bands the most. I feel it allows for tighter musicianship and more oportunities to jam on a theme. Something about just a guitar, bass, and drums, too. Simple, but very effective.

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I would love to be in a 3 piece.....I hate when there are too many solo hoging guitarists!
    I like Ben Folds Five type 3 peices, no guitars.hehe

8. I play in a three piece band and I really like it, there are way less arguments, it's a lot easier to plan a rehearsel or a gig, and it sounds really tight.....

9. In our three piece I'm gonna play only rhythm...I suck on guitar so I'll leave to solos to the bassist. I reckon that'll give us a better sound than having me fumbling my way through some awful whiney solo.

10. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I'm in a 3 pc. that is more fun for me as a bass player. I can rip when I want to and actually be noticed and heard. Not like having two guitar players jamming out balls to the wall. We are more laid back with our tallent. Rip when we need to not solo solo solo all the time.

11. I play in a three piece band mainly because the second guitarist almost never shows up at rehearsals and never calls to tell why or when he we won't show up.

12. My current band is a three-piece, and the two bands I was in before this one were trios as well. I really enjoy that format and I don't think I'll ever go back. Lucky for me, the band I'm in now has great two-part vocals with the guitarist and the drummer, 'cause I can't sing.

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My band was a four piece (g,b,d,keys) but our keyboard player got kicked out of school (bad grades) so we've been reduced to a three piece. We adapted to the trio setting a lot better than I thought we would, and I now enjoy the added freedom I have.

The downsides of losing the keyboard player are

1. There's no more keyboard, so we have less texture to our sound.

2. The guy was real good at singing harmonies and sang lead on a couple songs. I've been forced to take over his parts, but I must admit I'm not that good a singer.

3. He knew a lot of girls, so hanging out with him meant hanging out with girls.:(

14. I play in a 3-piece band here in Korea. I get to add backing vocals, keep the bottom held down, and add the "little things" on top that are usually covered by a second guitarist/keyboardist. We play every weekend and add a couple songs every week. We do some classic rock, blues, today's rock, and some really good jams. Crowd seems to dig it. One of the highlights of the night is when the drummer takes an awesome solo during "Fire" and then the bass gets a solo. Definitely a blast! The money is a little better than as a 4-piece and granted we can't do Iron Maiden tunes (which I would LOVE to do!), but, we hold our own and take it to the next level.

15. I prefer three-piece here too. The only thing that should be played as a foursome is golf.

16. hey liquid,
    thats exactly what are band is doing,check out our website we have the cut from our cd,everyone wants to go to heaven by albert king to download. i love playin in a three piece, it just seems to be tighter,we do origanals plus Hendrix,SRV,Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Clapton,Albert King,Willie Dixon,plus other great blues tunes,so good luck and i hope it works out for you
    frank

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The Albert King tune sounds great VIH. You guys are exactly what I would like to do musically right now. I know there are a ton of 3 piece blues/classic rock bands from central PA and they all seem to do really well. I remember seeing Felix and the guys and they were amazing 3 piece. The rythm section just seemed to shine a lot more because they were 3 piece.

IMO, I rather play with 2 great musicians, than 3 good musicians. Not saying that people in 4 pieces are in 4 pieces because they need the extra support, but to me, you would just get more accomplished in the style of music I want to pursue right now, in a 3 piece.

Thanks for all the input guys.

18. I'm in a newly formed Power Trio. It was a 4 piece but the singer pissed right off just before a cd launch. I must say, we get more done as a three piece... that extra opinion alwaysheld us back.

:D:D

POWER TRIO METAL!!!!!

19. Three Piece bands are the BOMB!!! I'm in one right now and we're really trying to make this work for us professionally and we're getting there. The great thing about being in a three piece is that you can write songs much easier and quicker. Pretty much every single song we've written was written by us just jamming, which is much easier to do with only a bassists, drummer and guitarist than with two guitarists. We tried that once and it just did not work. And, as stated above, people can hear you play. It has really given me an opportunity to shape the sound of the songs and, by doing it, I have become a much better musician. And, it doesn't really matter which style your band plays either. My band plays all kinds of styles, and the styles we don't play, I have heard other trios doing flawlessly. The only drawback that I've found is that we can't do too many covers successfully becuase they are written by bands with two guitars. Oh well though, we've just kindof done "our version" of those kinds of songs. Stick with the trio, it's the way to go.

20. I'm not in a band, but I have plans of founding a trio when school starts again and I'll have some free time (Ironic, huh?). I think that a trio really is the way to go, more freedom for everyone involved.