Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who here prefers a P neck over a J neck and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    For some reason I have less hand pain with a thicker P neck than I do with a thinner J neck. It's just easier to rest the neck in the crook of my hand between my thumb and index finger and keep playing than it is with a J neck. It seems like the vast majority of you out there like thin necks. For those of you who like chunkier necks, why?

2. First, how do you hold your hands when playing the bass? Where do you place your thumb, etc.

I have a Fender J and a Frankenstein type bass, which is ugly as sin, and made up of Fender parts, a P neck and a Warmoth P body. I am starting to enjoy it more than the thinner J neck because it feels more like my upright bass (my main ax) for some reason. It just feels more substantial. I had a Carvin and the neck on that was just too thin for me.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I more or less play the "correct" way that all the books tell you to play. I set my thumb on the middle of the back of the neck and use it as a pivot point. I only put the neck in the crook of my hand when I need to rest.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I have A, B and C necks, and prefer the B. A is a little thin and cramps my hand, and I can't put heavier flats on it. C is nice and I can groove on it, but it is a little bit slow since my fingers are not real long, requiring me to move my wrists more. B is perfect.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like B best as well.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I like a meaty P bass neck when I gig. It helps remind me to relax my hand.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    For the last 6 months, I've been playing my 1 3/4 P-neck
    over my 1 1/2 Jazz neck.
    This bass is a 66-jazz bass with original neck, but have been using a 62-Precision neck on it.
    Just like bigger neck, fits my hand better.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I actually like the smaller necks, like my Aria or a Sterling. but then again I have no problem with big giant necks like on my 6er....I guess unless there is somethign seriously wrong with the neck, size isn't usually the first thing that comes to my mind when I'm tyring out a bass

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P-bass necks (B and C) just feel right to me. My fingers are too cramped on the A width neck.

10. i prefer P's..because i dont like small necks...but a kubicki is kinda a blend of both, which is perfect for me

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I love both of them.

I have a Geddy Lee Sig Jazz and a Steve Harris Sig P-Bass.
    I'm comfortable on both of them. I also have a Kubicki which is also an awesome neck. I also dig the neck on my Conklin GT-7.
    The neck on my Fender P-Bass Lyte, is a really thin neck and fun to play. I guess it just doesn't matter to me.
    Oh, and the neck on Jerzy Drozd is just superior.

12. i dont know what it is, i guess it may be the cramps, that small thin wirey necks give me.....i love a baseball bat, feels more comfortable, like, i dont mind precision basses, if you could get a p bass with the pickup options of a stu hamm it'd be perfect but i love jazz bass bodies with a precision neck..the best of both worlds, one of my mates has done the neck switch on his jazz and i swear the jazz just seems to come alive now, and it does sound a little more fuller and meaty

13. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Yeah I put a 66 Precision neck on a 69 Jazz and it woke that bass up something fine. later I put a B Allparts neck on the Jazz, and I like it better. I don't see ever going back to a skinny neck.

14. Why do some people love big, fat necks? Cause they have big, fat hands. Now, i dont know if you do or not, but thats one common reason. Not every musician is blessed with long, slender, piano-player type hands.

Choosing a neck is no different than choosing something like a glove... It has to "fit" you well enough that you're comfortable to play it all the time. It also depends on your technique, how comfortable you are spreading your fingers apart, how much space you like from your thumb to your fingers, etc.

Everybody's different as far as what they find comfortable. If we all liked necks that felt the same, there would only be one shape and size.