1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who here runs a Sansamp BDDI with a SS head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Apr 6, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I was thinking of trying this. For those of you that have a SS head and run a Sansamp BDDI with it, do you run it through the effects loop to bypass your preamp? Or do you hook it up infront of your pre amp??

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I ran mine as a stompbox.

I use a tube head now. I think a fun question is- who uses a Sansamp with their all tube head? I've found the sansamp has a very different effect going through tube vs ss.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I find that for me, the BDDI is better up front as an effect. I have tried it as a preamp with a power amp and through the loop. I didn't like either.

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Not to hijack this thread but I have an SVT-2 Pro and am looking for a lot more overdrive. I also have a rack with room... What would be better for my needs, the BDDI or the RBI by sansamp? I also have a solid state head which I may use from time to time...

5. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I use mine in front as an effect as well. I keep it on almost all of the time in front of my Kustom Groovebass 1200, cause I find it gives me a nice warm tube-like sound, which I like. The main difference between the RBI and the BDDI is the midrange control knob. I find the lack of a midrange knob to not bother me at all, because by cutting other frequencies I can get the mids I need. I don't use my Sansamp that often for overdrive, but it does get some nice overdrive sound when I have used it. I would suggest getting the programmable version of the BDDI, cause then you can have multiple settings applicable for various situations.

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the info guys. Another item to add to the GAS list hehe. I seen them on evilbay before for a good price.

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I use a Sansamp as a stompbox in front of my Alembic F-1x tube pre, as it makes a good way to dial in some dirt when songs call for it. Definitely not a combination for slapping though - best leave the Alembic to do that on its own! :)

I also use it in front of an SWR head from time to time, just to get a little additional color. Plus it makes a great direct box on its own, and it's awesome having a spare DI on hand - you never know when you're going to need it...

8. My SABDDI is the final pedal on my board and, due to "hum" problems which are the subject of another thread, I use the board in the effects loop of my Ashdown and find it works very well. :)

I, too, tend to leave it on pretty much all of the time to "warm up" my sound with all controls set fairly flat.