1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who here uses EA VL208's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've heard a lot of great stuff about these cabs, and suddenly, out of the blue, I have a chance to buy a used one (used, because they're out of production). Does anybody here use them, and if so, got any reviews of these cabs? Thanks.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    When you say "don't bother", do you mean because they can't handle the low "B" string on a BG? I already have some great cabs for BG and doubling gigs...I was looking at the 208 as a cab to take to quiet to medium volume DB jazz gigs, where I want a very fast transient response and accurate reproduction of the sound of my DB. I've played one before (for about 15 minutes at the Aebersold camps), and it seemed to be an amazing cab for its size. How power-hungry are they?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....bassmonkeee will be along any moment to talk at great length about how wonderful his VL-208 sounds when paired with his Aguilar GS112...

:D

I'm just going to agree with him before he says it!

;)

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't wait to hear it - it'll make me feel less nervous about the purchase. :)

But this does bring up an interesting question: Why do all of the EA guys around here have MONKEY references in their TB personas? I mean, think about it: Boogiebass (Gorilla in avatar), bassmonkee, KONG......it's kinda spooky, isn't it?

Or maybe EA gear is a lot more primitive than I thought?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Chris Fitzsimian?

Chimp Johnson?

Hmmm...

6. APES A POPPIN':
    I used to use a 208. I loved the sound. I sold it when I bought my CXL112. I also have a VL110. My reasoning was that I could use the 112 for loud/outdoor DB gigs and electric gigs while keeping the 110 for quieter DB jazz gigs. The problem is the CXL 112 sounds so good I keep bringing it to all my gigs. I'm debating selling the VL110 and buying a new CXL110. The CXL's seem to be even clearer than my VL. The 208 is a great cab but isn't that much smaller than the 112. I think the 112 sounds a little better

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've actually got the 108 paired with an Aguliar 1x12.

It sounds amazing and handles the low B very nicely. At home, I use the 1x8 by itself with the Mesa Walkabout, and it sounds perfect. It could never handle the low B at gig volumes, but it's fine for playing at home.

It added an amazing amount if presence to the sound of the 1x12. Now, I have the thick booty of the Aggie, and the speed and clarity of the 1x8. And, the rig is teeny.

From my experience with the 1x8", I can only imagine how the 2x8 would sound. if it sounds half as good as the 1x8, you should be happy with it.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'll second that about the CXL112, but at lower volumes it's a bit "beefier" than I would want. I used to have an SWR Baby Blue II combo with two 8's, and it got a great sound...fast and focused, no fat on it at all. The amp was underpowered for most louder gigs, but the sound was always right there. I'm looking for the transparent sound where the volume is up a bit but all you hear is acoustic bass and no speaker. From the tiny bit of experience I've had with EA 8's, that's the kind of sound they have.

MIGHTY JOE KONG,

Sorry about the name thing, I just assumed that your screen name had something to do with the big ape. Just goes to show what happens when you assume. My bad.

LANCELOT LINK, SECRET JOHNSON,

(big bonus points if you know where that one came from)

FITZSIMIAN? :) There's an even better one that's actually real: FITZGIBBON. Check your phone book, see if there's one in your neck of the woods. We've got three here.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

10. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have both the VL110 and the VL208 and I love both of them. I drive them with either an iAMP350 or use one of them as an extension speaker to my IA Contra. In both cases they sound excellent. Lately I've been using the VL110 more, but that is because it is smaller and lighter. The VL208 is quite a bit heavier.

I'm playing mostly jazz on acoustic upright bass, but also double on bass guitar playing pop/rock with either an 8-piece or 18-piece big band. The two speakers together are perfect for higher volume bass guitar--very clear and very rich.

Great speakers. I have considered one of their new Whizzer cone speakers that are coming but not yet available. If it sounds as good as the people say who've heard it, I will probably sell my 208 in order to get a lighter cabinet. I hate lugging a lot of weight around.

Erik Hansen

11. I agree aboot the amount of bass on the 112. I usually cut the bass on my head when I use the DB. I owned a Baby Blue as well and loved the sound. It was quite underpowered. I think you will like the EA 208 then.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow, good call. But remember: it wasn't a cartoon...Lance was played by an actual chimp, and the show featured real actors. I remember it so well because here in town it used to come on right after the Monkees. :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have bought two VL208s and this is quite simply the best-sounding cabinet I have ever heard!

I think the thing about it not handling low B is rubbish - it handles it much better than other larger (2 X 10) cabs I have tried and really gives a Hi-FI sound for this.

To my ears this is the cab that gets closest to the sound of my Home Studio Monitor speakers and I Think it is the combination of different types of smaller speakers that does this.

I mean - all studios monitor through speakers that have this type of combination and nobody complains that they can't handle low-frequencies.

So I can listen to church organ notes which are way below the range of 5-string bass on my studio monitors speakers without distortion or anything!

Anyway - I use the VL208 as a stand-alone for small gigs - with 5-string active bass guitar and 5-string EUB - I tell you that playing a low D on the EUB is earth moving!!

The only thing about the VL208 is that it needs a lot of power - it's not loud without at least 300 watts and I've seen Jazz pros at my local Jazz club using one with the 600 watt iAmp.

It may not be the cab for Rock - but every time I've taken it to Jazz Summerschool, there has been a lot of interest from all the bassists. Most of them are using the small GK 150 watt combo and they are surprised at how much better a sound I can get with my Eden head and single VL208 - now this combo is useless with my bass and did actually distort quite a lot on low notes when I borrowed a friend's this summer.

14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Swingbassorrilla? I like it