who here uses itunes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Jan 8, 2004.

1. who here uses iTunes or the new Napster? is it really worth spending 99 cents a download? i have a feeling with all the songs i have, i'd be paying 300,000 a day for all them.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have used iTunes ever since I first got OS X, so naturally it was the logical choice for a music store :p

Either way, it's totally worth it for me, I love the "I should get some more hip hop" load up iTunes, browse the hip hop, find something I like, and then I have it on my computer in under 30 minutes!

It's just too damn convenient, the selection is good, but it could be better, there are some huge gaps(like the beatles*)

But there are also many surprising gems that you wouldn't expect to find there.

And they add about 40-50 new albums every week on average(I think the most they added in one week was 300 something! )

The limitations of using iTMS over napster, is that iTMS uses the philips audio codec, .AAC (advanced audio codec) presently, the only portable music player that supports this is the iPod(though I hear there are some new ones on the horizon that will also support it)

.AAC is an open standard, and the quality of it is superb, but due to microsoft dominance, the inferior .wma format is more prevalent in online stores.

.mp3, unfortunately cannot be used because it has no DRM copy protection and thus defeats the purpose of selling the music to get around piracy in the first place :p

being a mac-user, I'm a little bias, But the things I do know; .aac is the best sounding compression I've heard, not counting 'loss-less' formats(that while they sound better, they take up 3x more space)
    the iTMS has over 400,000 songs, and 400 independent labels, and they add so much new music every week.
    and the iTMS has sold over 25 MILLION songs, which is like 800x all the other stores combined.

An interesting thing about online music stores is that the formula of .99 cents a song 9.99/album, while it is great for the consumer, it is unprofitable for the company providing the service.

Apple makes no money on the iTMS

but, they have been incredibly successful with it because the iTMS sells iPods.

napster, musicmatch, real...etc. don't have a software/hardware link like that, and as such, they are just losing money on their music stores, and will likely fallout, unless something changes of course.

just food for thought.

I heard roxio(owners of napster) have a portable music player in the works, but I don't know much more than that.

*ever since their inception, apple computer has been at odds with the beatles' apple records label, there have been many law suits, restricting apple computer from entering the music industry, and now that they have(in a way) old battles are being brought to light again, but apple computer isn't the fledgling it was in the past, and they are always making settlements about it, but the result is that the beatles aren't available on the iTMS.
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Umm, Wrong Robot just knows waayyy too much about iTunes. You'd think he has a computer behind all of the blinking lights on that head of his.

:D ;)

Seriously, iTunes is great. Sure, it can't compete on price with p2p piracy, which is essentially free, of course, but it is an ethical, safe way of getting music that's far better than going out and buying albums, IMO. I can listen to an album and buy three songs off of it for less than $3.00. I'd say the average album I buy has roughly three songs I really like - but I shell out $12.00 - $20.00 for it, have to go to the store, and then have to break into that *&&^%$#@ Fort Knox of cellophane and tape.

iTunes for me, fer shure!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's also faster than P2P, if you find the song you want on kazaa, chances are that there won't be a lot of users, and if there are, they probably have set upload limits, or they are on cable modems and only uploading at ~30 k/sec, and even then, they might drop out or cancel the upload. compared to itunes which has very fast servers, and you are guaranteed to get the song you want at as fast as your bandwidth can handle, which is just awesome.