1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who here wishes the standard fender has more than 20frets?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Nov 22, 2010.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Say maybe 21...or 24. I know Im a bassist and Im spendin most of my time grooving with the 1st 7 frets, but sometimes its annoying when U wanna play a solo piece and you just need the extra frets to push you to the climax.

Plus, I find that with 24fret basses, the frets at the end are usually closer to each other, make it easier for fast scale runs....ideas?

2. Fender used to have a 24 fret jazz.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I kknow, hence I said the 'Standard fender model'

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It would sound very different from the classic "Fender sound".

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    who goes past the fifth fret anyways

:bag:

6. I do wish they at least had 21 frets. I hate getting in the upper register on a 20 fretter and having to bend up to an E. My Peavey Zodiac has 21 frets and it amazes me how happy that 21st fret makes me, lol.

7. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    like... mark hoppus?

8. Doesn't matter to me, I almost never go up that far as a matter of course.

9. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    89-93 fender jazz....the boner bass 22 frets...was the standard jazz.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If Fender doesn't make what you want, buy something else. Because someone else does make that.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    right.

i'm a little confused here...dude asks why standard fenders aren't made with more frets, other dude points out a 24 fret fender, then dude says that's not a standard fender. of course it's not a standard fender! a standard fender has 20 frets. if they change it, it's no longer standard.

i thought i wanted 24 frets until i got 24 frets. now i've decided i'm fine with 20. my main bass right now has 22, but i plan on getting off my butt and getting my 76 fender back into rotation either this week or next.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Can someone PLEASE tell me why the hell anyone would need 24 frets on a BASS?

There ought to be shards of glass embedded in the fingerboard past the octave... okay, maybe fret 13 or 14... but then you're DEFINITELY into "wankzone"...

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It's OK if you don't do solo or improvising on a bass, but some people do, and some people miss a few frets when doing a jazz solo in A or B minor...

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Just a couple of extra notes I never use and don't miss --until I fixate on them. If you really HAVE to have them, buy a new neck.

This is the flipside of the never-ending '4 vs. 5' debate.

At some point one must simply shut up and play what ya got.

15. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    You, sir, are a hero and I would like to vote for you in an upcoming election.

Basses for bassists.

Wank notes for... eh...

:ninja:

16. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I don't :meh:.

I wouldn't mind if they added one or two frets on an overhanging fretboard, but anything that messes with the body shape and/or relative position of the nut is not something that appeals to me.

Mind you, I could probably survive with just 18 frets :D!

17. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    We are talking about basses here....aren't we:meh:

18. I can't believe noone has said..... "Jaco only needed 20 frets"....yet. :D

And just so there's no misunderstanding... I love the extra notes. I am getting a 6 string, 36 fret fretless made. 72 extra "wanknotes" LOL and I can't wait to get them.
    I presently play a 24 fret 5 string, and a 20 fret 4 string.

19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    ^^
    Just think. He would have been 20% better with 4 more frets to pull out.

20. Because he didn't. :smug:

I agree that the "standard" and most Fenders should have 20 frets, but it's a shame that models that tried to push the envelope such as the "Precision and Jazz Plus" 22-fret models in the early '90s, the "Deluxe"/"American Deluxe" Precision and Jazz models from '95 to 2008-09, and the imported Jazz 24 IV & V seem to get little promotion. Apart from the American Deluxe model line (which I believe was purchased because it was the most high-end, active electronic "Modern Jazz" in general with the 22-frets being part of the package - the "Fender Sadowsky" model, if you will) all the models I listed got at most 4 years of production and typically dropped in some way after a few years (I've hardly ever seen '93-'94 years of the early '90s "Plus" basses, and the Jazz 24 got it's "Tobacco Sunburst" stain and Maple Top dropped for a Flat Black w/ Black Hardware "Stealth" model that didn't go anywhere fast in its last 18 months...

Which bring the question, if these models aren't selling when Fender does produce them, why should they continue? That's one I don't have an answer to, as I'm lucky enough to own two Mike Lulls (a Modern 4 & Modern 5) and don't have to look at Fender's lineup for the bass I seek. But what about "The Kids", the teens and early 20-year-olds who can't afford that price range of bass but desire it? Is Fender missing out on a market that it hasn't yet been able to crack yet?...