Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who hit the GC sale today?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i called every guitar center in the state and they were all blowin out SWR gear for their labor day sale. crazy good deals but ive already done the SWR thing and lookin to try somethin different. i was hopin they would be blowin out some boogie or GK but no such luck. anyone got any deals to share?

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Nope. I usually hit the big sales, too. I work around a few GC's and went through them this past week looking at everything and making a list of what I might buy at half the then posted selling price, trying to decide which store to go to. After 3 stores, I had no items on my list, so it just wasn't worth what it'd cost in gas.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, check the thread about it here.

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Pesonally, I feel their "blowout price" sales are a joke. Last week I stopped in to get a keyboard stand to use for a mixer. The salesman told me it was $39 but I could have it for $29. The only had one of the type I wanted but it was defective. He told me to stop in this week and they would have more. Well today at the great Labor Day sale it was now $49. I told the salesman about the previous deal and he said "uh, oh". It was still going to be $49!! I passed, and will buy it elsewhere.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yeah, their blowout sales are the same as all their other sales, which are the same as their normal prices and the same as the price on most websites online.

Not much of a sale...

6. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    SWR 350x
    I got this for 400 bucks

I also picked up a beater cab for 100...

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    those "blowout" prices arent any joke...

i nearly bought a brand new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau kit for 1/3 of the original retail price, just cause i could!

course, this ONLY proves that its thanks to GC's god awful pricing schemes that ruins regular pricing of most any item. hits smaller businesses that GC carries especially hard. the ol' "Walmart" effect. :scowl:

8. You certainly can't explain their used gear pricing that way. I have seen them value used stuff at higher prices than they were selling the same item new for before. Also, the Brice bass I played in Seattle (Kirkland actually) was nearly 1/3 more than you could buy a brand new one from Rondo... I have pretty much given up on GC personally.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    GC does overprice used gear. But they are in the business of selling new gear after all. The one I go to sells used Ric 4003s for a bit over what new 4003s go for :)

I don't know about the GCs in your area but the one here had new Ray 5s for $969, deep discounts on the SWR stuff and new MIA Ps and Js for $600s and $700s. Other folks were reporting Bongos for $600!

They once sold me an $899 ($1280 list) SWR combo, new for $550.

OTOH, my mom and pop music stores have very, very limited selections, high prices and are run by jerks.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    $499.99.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I got a sealed box SWR 550X for $499.99.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You guys got some smoking deals.

They had a used SVT 200T for $300. It looked decent. The demo 350X was tagged for $300. I almost bought that.

Well there are still Turkey Day and Day after Xmas sales.

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    And for the bottom-feeders, I picked up a used Firebass II at GC for a friend for $199.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I once asked a GC employee about the sales around the holidays. He said that the really good sales (i.e. the List Sales) aren't held around those times because they count on lots of non-regular customers at Holiday time and don't need to really give stuff away.

The List Sales seem to occur Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. The best one I ever attended was before Halloween...on a Friday completely by accident. Got the most amazing deals I've ever seen at GC... But they haven't done one since.

The big stores sure seem hungry. I get mailings from Sam Ash all the time trying to lure me in there too... Nothing is as good as a GC List Sale...at least in my experience.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Actually, there are only two, consistently: Memorial Day and Labor Day.

The sales around Christmas (and other times) are mostly jive, for the reason your guy said.

Funny, but the Halloween sale was where I got a new Ampeg BA-112 (a fantastic, underrated, overpriced little amp!) for $158.99. I've also gotten great deals in those stupid for-no-reason sales, like that great MM S.U.B. for $319.99.
    The Memorial Day sale was a total dud here. Nada. The list had nothing significant below 50% off, and that was rare.

My guy explained it as being a policy decision by corporate not to give "allowances" to the stores for that sale. As he explained it, they are given so many thousand dollars as a sort of credit to sell slow stock of certain brands of stuff at below cost. Typically, FMIC brands get this treatment. The word was that no store would be getting allowances for that sale, but it seems that a few stores did. Mine didn't and he was shocked to hear about those long deals people were getting at Arizona stores.

Anyway, there were some good deals yesterday, so the system's back on track.

16. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Real hit and miss at the three GC's in Houston. Picked up an SWR LA10 for $109 yesterday (GC and MF regular price $199). Also got a killer (brand spankin' new) set of Tama Rockstars (sans hardware) for $200 a couple of years ago (going for $500-$600 at the time). On the other hand, I'll go to a half dozen sales in a row and see absolutely nothing! I guess that's what keeps us going back!

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Halloween sale for me was just as good... a Yamaha LL-50(?) acoustic (guitar) List $1500 was $299. I passed on the Ampeg B50-R for $152 and a B3 (B2R + 15 in a combo) for $279...something about promising the wife that I wasn't buying gear at the time.... No one bought either amp and they both went up to regular price after the sale.