who i believe to be one of the most underrated songwriters...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bon viesta, Feb 15, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    mr todd rundgren. if you mention that name to most ordinary people on the street who don’t have an obsession with music, depending on their age, they’ll either say “who?” or maybe the odd “oh didn't he write hello it’s me/i saw the the light?”, and really it’s just a shame. ever since i discovered the “something/anything?” album late last year i feel like music has just sounded better in general. my first experience with scales on bass started with playing todd rundgren songs. but beyond my own personal experiences, i think “something/anything?” is a marvel of songwriting perhaps on par with a mccartney album. each song (that isn’t a goof) is well crafted and full of atmosphere. todd rundgren is an amazing songwriter, instrumentalist, composer, producer/mixer, and he’s also pretty funny.

Bad Bob, CallMeAl, jamro217 and 14 others like this.
  2. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    oh wow is that a typo in the title??? how embarrassing. “who i believe to be one of the most underrated songwriters...”****

yodedude2 likes this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Honestly, I've heard his name, but I couldn't have named a song of his.
    In fact all I knew of him was that he was in effect Liv Tyler's dad, until Steve cleaned up his act when she was 11...
    and that he produced Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell album, a favourite of mine.

I clearly should do some listening to him.

2tonic, OldDog52 and bon viesta like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drum all day.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    design, JoshS, PennyroyalWe and 8 others like this.
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    Just one look at his credits tells you he is a prolific artist, songwriter, instrumentalist and producer: Todd Rundgren | Credits | AllMusic

His solo work plus his stuff with Utopia should garner him respect alone.

klaatu, 2tonic, red_rhino and 4 others like this.
  6. lyonaudio

lyonaudio

Apr 16, 2019
    France
    This one sounds like a Todd Rundgren song.
    :D

design and red_rhino like this.
  7. Your wish is my command...and Kasim Sulton is a monster player IMO...

8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I’ve been a big fan of his starting with The Nazz(love this riff)...

...and even thought he kinda got bogged down with Laura Nyro type balladry on his first two solo albums, he was definitely back on track with S/A(an almost one man band album), so many great moments, including one of the most perfect power pop songs ever...

A Wizard... was equally brilliant, but he kinda lost me with the Utopia stuff, plus at that time I was in school with some hardcore Todd fans who were more annoying than Deadheads. That put me off for a while, but I came back after he streamlined things. Then there’s all of his brilliant production work...Grand Funk, The Band, NY Dolls, Hall & Oats, Steve Hillage, Patti Smith, XTC...

sonojono, CallMeAl, TyBo and 8 others like this.
  9. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    In a high school band, we played "Hammer In My Heart". The guitarist is a big Rundgren fan, and even worked for him after college at Todd's multimedia company.

ajkula66 likes this.
  10. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Thanks, @ajkula66 !
    I regret to say that did absolutely nothing for me...In fact, if you're suggesting that's his best work, then I'll not bother checking out any more.
    I did think the song @bholder posted was ok...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Kasim is indeed excellent...I've seen him live with Meat Loaf several times!

BassikBrad and bon viesta like this.
  11. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    you are quite the honest person! if you’re in the mood for the most beautifully crafted melodic 70s pop music, the album “something anything” will be all you’ll ever need. if you’re into hard/harder rock, than todd likely will leave you a bit unsatisfied. though he did dabble in other things. i believe todd never became a real “mainstream mainstream” artist simply because his catalog seemed to jump from genre to genre. he was a musical genius, i think. he was incredibly talented, and didn’t care to stick to a single genre because he didn’t want to. he enjoyed music, not ‘a’ music, music.

JoshS, 2tonic and TN WOODMAN like this.
  12. You're very welcome.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's "his best work" but the one that spoke to me the most.

Definitely. The world would be an awful place if everyone liked the exact same things.

Different strokes once again...at the risk of getting tarred and feathered I'll say that I'm not a fan of MeatLoaf whatsoever...:)

Oddly likes this.
  13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yeah, but did you listen to any of the stuff I posted? Stylistically, he’s been all over the map, and the Utopia stuff(the early proggy material)was a phase he went through. I’ll throw in a couple more....

ajkula66 likes this.
  14. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    He produced some Bad Religion too.

He played our college years back and some of my fraternity brothers closed down a bar with him.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I used to love Todd. He's extremely talented and a lot of fun to watch play, but he'd always lose me when I'd read interviews with him when he'd come off really arrogant. Like when he'd claim he got more experimental and proggy after "Something/Anything" because he could write hit pop songs in his sleep and there was no challenge to it. But when he went back to writing "hit" pop songs, none of them were a hit except "Bang The Drum All Day." Personally, I loved those pop songs, but it just demonstrated that anyone can write what they think is a hit song but it's a lot harder to actually have a hit.

klaatu, marchone, Ostie and 3 others like this.
  16. Utopia live is badass! The bass is just fine but if you wanna hear somebody SCALD a guitar, go to 8:30.
    Todd is a weirdo, but he is truly BADASS.

17. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    don’t forget “can we still be friends”!

JimmyM, yodedude2, design and 3 others like this.
  18. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Love TR! Great guitar player too and rarely gets credit for that. I also love his production work. He has a huge “wall of sound” style...like a modernized Phil Spector.
    The Nearly Human album is one of my all time faves of his and is a good example of that huge sound he likes.

JMarkD and bon viesta like this.
  20. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I picked this record up about 5 years ago from the $1 bin at a record store, purely because it looked crazy and proggy, having never heard of Todd Rundgren before.

Absolutely blew my mind.

Nothing by him I've heard since then has really hit the same.