Who in hear hates keyboard players?!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 6, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    At church, the keyboard player keeps butting in on my low end and sometimes, I think it's me playing but when I stop it's really him. Should I get a 5 string to compete or pull him by the collar and talk to him in private? Who do these guys think they are? I'm the bass!!! End of rant....
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No, I don't hate keyboard players.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    This happens all the time. Just let him know, gently, that he is stepping on your toes a little by playing to much low end.
  4. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  5. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    This is what I would do. And if it doesn't work, you can always go with Grey Goose's suggestion, as keyboard players are usually against violence, and will be less likely to fight back. ;)
  6. +1

Talk to him but don't be obnoxious about it. I doubt he's trying to steal your thunder (pun intended).
  7. +1

you can take advantage of the moment too, when he is playing down low you can play up high and get some melodys going (if it fits the song)
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cut off his left hand
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wait a minute.... You're in church so you're not supposed to "hate" anyone... The Bible says "If a man sue thee for thy coat, give unto him also thy cloak", so what you need to do is take off your E and A strings and let him play notes in that range as well....
  10. That's extreme... but it's a good solution lol
  11. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I used to. I've been blessed enough lately to have worked with a string of keyboard players who actually asked me if they were stepping on my toes with their left hand.

I'd try asking nicely first (you are in a church band, after all), explaining that you believe his bass knob is turned up to a point that it's clashing with you, and muddying the low end of the frequency spectrum. Could he perhaps turn it down a little, and let you handle the lows?

Bear in mind, he may not be aware that all that bass is from him. He may be thinking that the boominess is all you, which was the situation with the last keyboardist I barked at for stomping on me.
  12. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    This happens a lot with keyboard players that are used to playing solo gigs. He should be only be playing left hand bass at times when there are set unison lines with the bass.

Experienced keyboard players know how to find their space without crowding the bass or the gtr (BTW, gtr players often have BIG problems with kbd collisions!)
  13. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX

Your patience will pay off in the long run.
  14. ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    When there's a bass player, the keyboardist is free to comp better, because he doesn't have to play bass notes. I'm not sure how you'd work that into the conversation.
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yup. That's what this is. When you play with a keys player who does a lot of solo practice stuff or gigs alone, they don't understand that they're playing in your neighborhood. I stop the song when this happens in practice and explain the situation in a very succinct manner. It usually only happens maybe once or twice after that. In those cases I stop playing altogether and refuse to play until it stops.
  16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Not me. Occasionally the left hand gets in my way, but he's man enough to recognize and decipher my look back at him and lay off. It only happens rarely, though.

So no, I don't hate keyboard players. In fact, I am one.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I try not to hate anyone.
  18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i used to hate keyboard players because i thought that they were gay, then i seen some really good ones, who were able to use the sounds on their keyboard ALOT, like bringing up pathes here and there and making pre sets on the fly, it was amazing! from then on i gew to respect GOOD keyboard players, who know hoe to use their instruments to their full potential
  19. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    It's time to educate him. When a keyboardist plays in 'your area' it's because he needs to be enlightened on the fundamentals of music.
  20. I think its spelled here... not hear...
    just wanted to clear things up ;)