1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who, in your opinion, does NOT deserve a signature model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndrly, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I once went into a music store, and I saw one of the employees pointing at a Mike Dirnt precision bass saying "That guy doesn't deserve that bass". Also, recently, I checked the Squier website. Turns out Avril has got her own signature model now.

In your opinion, who does not deserve a signature model? IMO if they're like, not very good, or practically unknown (their band has to be well-known to make up for that), then they do not deserve signature models.

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    i honestly think mark hoppus from blink 182 doesnt deserve a signature model...not that hes no good or that i dont respect him or whatever but hes nothing great know what i mean?

3. This thread is gonna git ugly. I shall grab some popcorn.

4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I would have to say ME..

haha

but for real, ummmm hmmmmmmm dont know.. to be honest if Avril can belt out 3 chords and make it somewhat musical then Im all for it. Same goes for anyone.

But I think, if you havent done something significant in musical history you really shouldnt have a signature model, SRV yes, some dude in so and so band thats hot right now NO

5. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    One thing most people don't realize is that Fender/companies that issue signatures don't really care if the bassist in question deserves a signature. People that are fans of the person would want to buy their signatures. Fender/Squire understands that young kids like Fall Out Boy, and they gave Pete Wentz a signature. It's all business... they like money and people will buy them.

6. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus, ooh and Michael Anthony

7. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    mark hoppus for sure.

oh and wait for it, Malmsteen. it says signature model (not bass or guitar...yes i know this is talkBASS but yeah).

but on a guitar tangent, malmsteen lol

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If the sig is a flop, and no one buys it, the player didn't deserve it, afterall, sigs are about money, not artistry.:eyebrow:

9. THe TWIG

THe TWIG

Aug 6, 2007
    Well I'd say that Mark Hoppus himself isn't a fantastic player... (even though I'm a big fan of all he's done) I do really like his sig bass, after having a tone knob installed though...
    Either way, i really like my Mark Hoppus sig... It's just a nice variation of the ol' P bass so i don't care.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I agree. BUT... he absolutely stinks as a bass player.

He may be a good songwriter and can spin onstage without wiping out but he stinks and he admits his playing sucks.

He is undeserving of having his name on a musical instrument he can barely play, but again, Fender isn't stupid and they know it is going to sell as Fall Out Boy is big.

As far as knocking Mike Dirnt (and I hate his bass, it is terrible to play and sounds like crap), he CAN play bass IMO. Listen to Longview and Basket Case. They are good songs with fairly complex basslines and it sounds great IMO. He isn't Jaco or Entwhistle, but he can play bass.

11. meegosh

meegosh

May 28, 2006
    NY
    i would say jeff berlin. not that i don't like him, but the fact that his name is on a really crappy sounding bass tipped me off.(And why is it so cheap?)

12. Joey Arkenstat does not deserve a signature bass....

...unless that bass has only 2 strings.

Seriously, if there was a Joey Arkenstat signature bass, I'd buy it.

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    At the risk of pissing a few folks off.... i'll pony up and say Victor Bailey does not deserve a signature model. I love the bass but not crazy about the player. In the same breath i feel like any musician deserves the right to make an idea a reality.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd even go beyond that - if you were to see the profits of all signature models made by all musical companies that made "signature" models, perhaps barring Fender, who simply has a huge advantage in amount of popular endorsees with models, I'd bet that every company would show a loss on their signature models. I believe that signature models and their endorsees are more a tool for selling lower-priced instruments to the beginner-to-midrange player. Very few people in the whole of customers of instruments will purchase the custom shop Jaco, the Tony Franklin fretless, or any one of the Victor Bailey trio, but it certainly gets them into the look of Fenders and the idea of purchasing a lower model. The same thing with Ibanez and Satriani, Vai, the latest metal god, and 13-year-old wannabe shreders who can't afford a Jem but can manage a $300 RG.

Signatures don't sell signatures, signatures sell standard lines. The only problem I have with a company picking someone that isn't "worthy" is that it'll distract them from pushing a "quality" instrument. I have better things to do with my time than complain and judge that Player X isn't good enough to sell other basses, quite frankly. It's simply consumerism at work...

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    +100 :bassist:

However, the flip side is, anything that gets new peeps to want to pick up a guitar or bass and play is not a bad thing.....

16. I think the Avril signature model is a good thing. Sure, she's not the greatest player out there, but there are a bunch of young girls who look up to her and that may get them to go out and learn guitar or bass. Anything that encourages female musicians, especially younger ones, is a good thing.

17. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I dunno bout that one. As I see it, Van Halen changed a lot about rock music and guitar players for sure, but I think Michael was awesome at holding down the pocket, pushing the groove and opening doors musically for Eddie to run and be Eddie.

It takes a strong skilled bassist to anchor any 3 piece band, but to basically anchor with groove and carve his place in a band with the Likes of the Van Halen brothers and David lee Roth?

I dunno mate, I think Michael is far more deserving than some.....

IMHO

But then you have your opinion and I respect that.....

18. If a company is willing to make a signature model for an artist, then they deserve it. It's really that simple.

Take it for what it is.

19. Well since no one is replying without complaining or "explaining the business", I will! Is it really that hard to just pick a few and answer the question? Or just rant after the fact?

I'd say any of the people mentioned so far, mostly because I'd say they don't contribute GREATLY to the bass instrument as a whole. I'd also include Reggie Hamilton, who's one of my favorite bassists. I just don't think you "deserve" it unless you're one of the top of the top. I'm pretty strict that way, though, and yes, I KNOW IT"S ABOUT THE MONEY!

I'd only include people that changed/added to bass style/culture significantly: Jaco, Flea, Geddy, Entwistle, Jamerson, etc.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

True enough.

BTW, I recently bought a Sansamp RBI from Avril's bassist (he was up until recently when almost the entire band was replaced with session guys for her recent cd) and man can this guy play. He deserves a signature bass much more than Avril deserves a signature bass/guitar/kazoo/recorder, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.