Who influenced you to start playing the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Twiggy Jr., Mar 15, 2006.

1. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Just wondering who influenced most of you to start playing, or who was your greatest inspiration? Looking more for famous musicians, not a friend that said "go buy a bass." Mine was twiggy ramirez (jeordie white, formerly of marilyn manson, then APC, now NIN). I saw him play in tulsa, oklahoma and was blown away by his playing, stage presence, and "rock star" attitude onstage.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wasn't inspired by anyone other than myself just wanting to play bass.
  3. I was a violin player heading into junior high school. The Normandy School District, in St. Louis, MO has an amazing music program, very competitive, and incredible high school jazz bands. I wanted to be in the jazz band and did not see a way to do that playing violin, so I switched to string bass in the junior high orchestra. I was good on the violin - held 1st chair a often, but always was in the top 3 chairs... but I wanted that jazz band shot - so bass it was.

Prior to getting into the hs jazz band I was amazed by Aleric Anderson - the then current 1st jazz band (the Norsemen) bass player. He played a Gibson Ripper - a really big, cool bass! Then I got into the 2nd jazz band (called Jazz II) and that is when I started paying attention to pro bass players. Stanley Clarke was the uber bass god - Geddy Lee was rock bass god - then I discovered John Paul Jones...

That is my list of influences... Aleric, Stanley, Geddy, JPJ...
  4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The Beatles hit the scene, I wanted to be a drummer. Then they released "Nowhere Man". One listen to Paul's bass line on a good stereo and I never wanted to play drums again!
  5. [​IMG]

The Wizard who enthralled my mind.................

Yes I realize he is not a bassist. Odd story, how he inspired me to become a bassist.
  6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Oddly enough: Robert Trujillo (Metallica) and Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)

It was after watching the DVD from "St. Anger" and the DVD from "The Wretched Spawn" that I started thinking about taking up the bass. RT inspires me to play with all I got, to just pour my heart into my playing, and AW inspires me to play with as much technical finesse as I can. Seriously, just watch "The Wretched Spawn" DVD and you'll realize that AW has some chops!
  7. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Cliff Burton:

Beefcake the Mighty:

These two led me to the bass...by this point I had already wanted to be in music.
  8. Geezer Butler! (Black Sabbath for those of you who have not lived)

I wish I had the picture of him in his blue velvet robes with gold trim on my computer, but alas it remains on my wall.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Michael Anthony.

I always kept hearing his basslines in the background of those great VH songs, and wondered who was making that sound and how.

10. BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ
    Gene Simmons was my inspiration. :cool:
  11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006

My greatest inspiration was probably John Paul Jones.
  12. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Santana, hehe. It all started when I got addicted to playing his bass-lines on my classic guitar...
  13. Tim Commerford back in the RATM days, i mean hes good in Audioslave but he doesnt stand out as much as he used to.
  14. Lol i had the urse to play the bass after i watched a live with japanese rocker kazuno. Glad i did though, i love this instrument. *wipes tear from eye*

15. havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area

along with Flea , Les Claypool , the guy from FNM and most of the old punk bassist's .They're some of the the most "audiable" bassist's ,to my ears,from my generation's music (i'm 25) so they sorta helped "steer" me this direction
  16. Gene Simmons. Funny thing, once I started playing, I pretty much lost my interest in KISS (imagine that).
  17. Roger Glover, when i heard Smoke on the Water on a burger king commercial
  18. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  19. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    My inner child has a brief chat with my inner adult. The rest is history.