Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who influnced you the most to ever think about playing bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mykeindk, Jan 29, 2003.

1. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    the story with me was listening to a band called choking victim there a squatter punk band from NYC. but they broke up and now there known as Leftover Crack, i saw them play in san diego like last year and i met the band and told the bass player that his playing made me think about getting a bass for so long then about last year i started playing bass and here i am........... so i thank alec of No commerical value and Choking Victim and Leftover crizack.

2. when i was about 8 my brothers friend came over our house with his bass...now that i remember he wasn't even that good but he still "kind of" plays, but im better. :D

3. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    woah, I didn't understand a word of that.

4. Friends were starting a band, I didn't want to get stuck on drums, guitars were taken, so I said bass :D

Don't regret it one bit, either.

5. I guess ill try to rephrase:

Brother's friend came to my house.

He played his bass.

It was great.

Thats the end I just used more words.

6. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    you guys need to listen to choking victim and leftover crack

7. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    my dad...
    [​IMG]

and no, I dont have the bass...

...but I do have the acoustic 360! :)

8. my friend told me about choking victim/leftover crack- i don't think they broke up; he said it's the same guys, but they change their name all the time, each album is under a different nam, stuff like that. i haven't actually heard them though.

9. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    oh sorry, I meant the original post not yours :p

but I think I can comprehend now (I'm a little slow on the up-take today)

the person/people/things that influenced me were Krist Noveslic's line in Sliver, Mike Dirnt's line in Longview, my Brother, and a 1996 issue of Fender Frontline Magazine that had the coolest looking instrument i ahd ever seen, a white Jazz Bass with a red pearloid pickguard.

I'm not into Green Day anymore, but they still hold a place for influencing me to play.

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My Dad. I do have his John Juzak upright which he bought new in the 1930's. He paid $300 for it and that was a bunch of money on those days.

Chuck

11. axes57

axes57

Jan 28, 2003
    phila. area
    of course james browns rythem section+ slys group and funkadelic/bootsy collins
    :cool:

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  13. I was gonna play rhythm (what does this look like?) guitar but my Dad told me to play bass. "They are always looking for good bass players" is what he said. He was RIGHT.

However, I tell people to play drums or guitar because: if EVERYONE played bass, there would be no jobs for me...

14. my dad...

and no, I dont have the bass...

...but I do have the acoustic 360!

that might be the coolest pic i've seen on TalkBass.
    you're dad had it goin. too bad it's not in color with that acoustic. btw, i saw that very amp and cab for sale at a local bay area store 2 weeks ago.

don't sell yours.

15. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    my uncle was in a band called"the merced bue notes" they actually made it to american bandstand. my uncle along with paul mc were the reason i started to play bass.

16. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I was in that age old situation where my friends were in a band and didn't have a bass player - and, being a somewhat rhythmically oriented guy, I opted to buy a bass and get to learnin'! Almost three years later, I've been in a number of bands and worked a number of studio sessions. If I were asked to give it up and learn another instrument, I would decline. :D

17. My friends started aband in 7th grade. We had a singer and guitarist, but no drums or bass. I decided to play drums simply bavasue i barely knew what a bass was at that time. They all told me I sucked at drums and they knew a better drummer than me so in an effort to start in the band, I switched to bass.

We broke up a few weeks later

18. Guns N Roses were my first idols as a kid I mean really idols. I had posters, the cd's the stuff on tv where they featured GnR. My favorite was always Duff McKagan. He made me wanna play the bass.