Who inspired you to become a bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sumfortyone, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    Entwistle, then Geddy, Chris Squire. but now i prefer Fusion, so Stanley Clarke now

2. my brother. he told me my fingers were too fat for guitar. haha

steve harris also because in iron maiden he is in the front just like a guitar which is awesome.

3. littlezak

littlezak

Mar 4, 2007
    JPJ on led zeppelin 2

4. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    UK
    Flea he is so dam funky.

5. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Another Chris Squire fan here.

6. jeff7k

jeff7k

Aug 30, 2007
    Orange County
    It was actually my bass player leaving our band that was the catalyst - I was a guitar player/frontman who suddenly had to find heroes. I found them quickly: Sting, for his brilliant simplicity and undeniable hooks, and Tim Commerford for his tasty, addictive grooves. Geddy Lee is a close third for his seemingly infinite creativity.

7. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    les claypool, honestly i didn't know bass could sound that cool

8. Originally it was Bill Wyman(orig. bassist for the Stones) then any I heard till Suzi Quatro-she could play scales on me anytime - then Robbie Shakespeare(SLY & ROBBIE-Riddim Twins-reggae rythym section) when he was doin Grace Jones' stuff-Pull Up 2 the Bumper etc.. & Tina (almost mispelled it to Tuna!!! :) Tina Weymouth-Talking Heads! & Bassist from post punk band Killing Joke-can't remember his name!
    Nice & varied lot there- I used to sit in my room(not doin my school homework...just bass work!!!) & PLAY ANYTHING that came on radio- from stones & Beatles, to Quatro, G.Glitter, country, Sweet, T-Rex, Archies, 1910 F.G. Co., then when I grew a brain & really started diggin MY OWN music-JPJ-Led Zep, Bernard Edwards-CHIC, Bros. Johnson, Birthday Party, Joy Division....................................................

9. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Boz ........Bad Co. When "Burning Sky" came out, I was amazed. That was such a great album. That was 1977 I think. I remember on my 16th birthday, Bad Co. came to Dallas to tour that album. My mom bought me a 5th of Jack Black, and let me take her car to the show. I dont know how I made it home alive

10. ahh it was a couple of years ago, it wasnt who but what, it was a silver sparkly bass i saw in a music shop, i fell in love with it, wouldnt be seen dead carrying it now, it looked very tacky in heinsight but after that all i wanted to do was play bass.

11. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    For me it was Paul McCartney. I used to listen to The Beatles so much and when I was young I always liked Paul the best. My current bass is a violin bass.

12. biff brown

biff brown

Jun 26, 2007
    san marcos, tx
    my dad darrel brown. hes now a kansas rock hall of famer. then flea

13. Paul McCartney, JPJ,later Nathan East. Even later Stanley Clarke(WOW)!

14. Steve³

Steve³

Aug 25, 2007
    Gene Simmons was the first to get me interested in the bass, but it was John Entwistle, Steve Harris, and Geddy Lee that really made me want to play.

15. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I always liked the instrument. My friends in high school both played (guitar and drums). They decided to form a band, and told me I was going to be the bass player. THEN, I started paying attention to details. :bassist:

16. Felix Pappalardi. Must have seen Mountain a dozen times when I was younger, and I was always impressed with his playing and stage presence. RIP Felix.
    Good Luck To You!

17. Eusebio "'El Chivo'' Cortes from Los Bukis (an 80's mexican band) was my first influence. Later was Steve Harris but then John Patitucci changed my perception about the bass. He was my stronger influence.

18. bassman68s

bassman68s

Jul 5, 2005
    Louis Johnson, without a doubt or contradiction.

19. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It was all Geddy for me.

20. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    The usual suspects:
    Sheehan, Geddy, Geezer, Jaco, Harris, etc.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.