Who inspired you to become a bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sumfortyone, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In 3rd grade i saw Flea jumping around hitting his bass making wonderful noises, at the time i thought it was a guitar.....:ninja:

2. jetstopi

jetstopi

Jun 17, 2006
    Roger Manganelli from Less Than Jake. But I remained a bassist because of Mark Hoppus. Rogers basslines were complicated and sounded great, but Marks basslines sounded great despite being relatively easier to play.

3. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Paul McCartney and Les Claypool

4. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Les Claypool was the first bassist i really got into.

5. cryptobuddhist

cryptobuddhist

Dec 5, 2007
  6. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    Steve Harris
    Geezer Butler

7. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    Mic Todd (Coheed and Cambria)
    Geddy Lee

8. Flea!

Unsurprisingly I got put off by not being able to play pretty much any Chilis but started listening to alot of punk after nearly giving up bass and realised that there was bass that you didnt have to have being playing 3 years to half pull off...

9. sotjian

sotjian

Nov 18, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Jimmy Bain and Bob Daisley.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I started playing bass at 14 to "fill in" for two guys who had guitars, but:

My favourite records when I was a tiny child featured people like Norman Watt-Roy, Horace Panter and Bernard Edwards. And I suppose John Taylor. He deserves some credit for all his hard work.

The guy who made me want to continue playing bass was Norwood Fisher, and my main bass for the last six years has been a Thumb. I still love what Norwood does, he's just the ultimate "bass is cool" advert.

11. Phil Joel of Newsboys fame... I saw him playing at Aquire The Fire (A Christian Youth Event) and my life was never the same, bassically and spiritually! Good stuff...

12. It all started when my middle school band director asked the percussionists if anyone wanted to play the bass guitar in the jazz band, me and some other kid rock paper scissored it and i won... hooked on bass and jazz ever since :cool:

13. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    I listened to Herbie Hancock's Butterfly" on the "Thrust" album with Paul Jackson on bass......bought one the next day.....

14. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    My first guitar teacher.

"Too many string for you, boy! Best be movin' on...."

15. Chris W from Muse

the band got me started playing music...period

i started playing bass to piano, drums, guitar, and now back to playing bass again

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wow. I never really thought about that, but it had to have been about 50 years ago when my parents were into square dancing, and I'd go with them. I faintly remember how I thought it was really cool for that guy in the band to stand up there and lay down the bottom with those low notes. Strangely, it wasn't 'til almost 20 years later that I started playing bass guitar, but I always had an affinity for the low end. Although I started playing trumpet when I was 9, I migrated to tuba by the time I was in junior high. I always sang bass in the various musical plays and choral groups I've been in and, in high school, I played upright bass at hootenannies with the Hilltop Trio. So I was destined to play bass at a very early age, but it took a while to get there. I started playing bass guitar in 1977 at the age of 29.

17. If I go back a long time infact it's probably Tom from Tom and Jerry in that episode he serenades that lass with his Double Bass. That and the cheesy trad. jazz in that show in general :p

18. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    It was the sound in my head as a child I used to hum in my throat to cause a vibe in my head, (It's not crazy, I checked,heh!) made me want to. JE allowed me to realize I could make that sound out loud.

19. steve harris from iron maiden

20. 2001-Ps

2001-Ps

Dec 31, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Harris, Geddy, Paul Jones & Burton

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.