Who inspired you to become a bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sumfortyone, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    Paul McCartney and Jack Casady were my bassic inspirations!

2. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    Geddy Lee - there are certainly better players to be found, but back in the days of bad playback equipment and a horrible ear I didn't know what a bass sounded like until I heard "Tom Sawyer." Although that was/is not the definitive or archetypal bass tone by any stretch of the imagination, it was my personal equivalent of a Neanderthal seeing fire for the first time. :eek:

Also:
    Geezer Butler
    Steve Harris
    Eddie Jackson (Queensryche)
    Jean-Yves Thereault (aka - "Blacky" from Voivod)

Even after picking up the instrument, the inspriation continues - so many great players and too many to list in different styles/genres. One name that stands out is Mark Epstein (Johnny Winter, David Crosby) who I had the honor of taking lessons from early on. Very nice of him not to give up on me in disgust! :smug:

3. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses ( Now Closed) sales @ Sweetwater
    Mark Campanelli, my older brother's bass player.

I always had a intrest in bass and my older brothers both played guitar.

I remember that Mom let me pick out a clock at the grocery store, that looked like the cover of school days

I remember when Lay down Sally was a hit begging my Dad for a bass, with a trem.... I guess I was just a little ahead of my time ;)

When I was a little older 7 or 8, I though Gene Simmons was just about the baddest dude on the planet.

However, who got me to start saving to get a bass. Mark Campanelli !

4. I only started playing bass because my school was making me play two instruments (I only played guitar at the time)

I've been bass ever since :p

However, Paolo Gregoletto of Trivium inspired me to properly play metal, and Adam Duce of Machine Head turned me on to detuning, my bass has been in Drop-B almost ever since.

Matt

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Pete Wentz!

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.