Who inspired you to play bass, Paul McCartney or Paul McCartney?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Paul McCartney

44.0%
  2. Paul McCartney

27.0%
  3. Paul McCartney

30.8%
  4. Paul McCartney

27.0%
  5. Or Paul McCartney

50.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. When I married a Peruvian and started come to Peru 20 years ago I was surprised to find that the Beatles were idolized even more over here than in the U.S. which I find entirely justified :laugh:. There is even a giant statue of John Lennon in one the main parks in Lima. When I first got here half the bands were Beatle clone bands and some of them were so good the only thing that was different were the accents of the singers. There is still an 'hora de The Beatles' at noontime on one of the FM stations here everyday.
    I guess the funny thing is that the Brits years ago kept our American blues alive and fed it back for us and now we keep the Beatles alive, you will thank us for it someday as all those bands you mentioned would probably not exist if it weren't for the Beatles, and McCartney was the first 'lead' bass player before Entwistle, Jack Bruce (who I love) JPJ. Roger hardly even played on those albums you know. I saw him here 2 or 3 years ago and he only played a couple of songs had a bass player onstage the whole time playing most of the songs, was a great concert though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    mikewalker likes this.

2. Rickenbacker 4001, keep the cap in and use rotosounds Swing RS66, play with a pick right next to the bridge, boom!

mikewalker and StereoPlayer like this.

3. She taught him everything he knows :laugh:

Dave Neal and mikewalker like this.
  4. And. Ric o sound!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. This thread is about as much fun as the one who wondered who played bass on Helter skelter

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    It’s a tie between Bill Wyman and The Ox.

mikewalker and bobyoung53 like this.

7. That's right, I forget about that, I used to play like that into an SVT with two channels. I bought a real Ric-O-Sound box a while ago though but haven't seen it yet.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  8. Update: 'Or Paul McCartney' is still in the lead with 74 votes. I've always liked him the best too.

mikewalker and Son of Wobble like this.
  9. Michael Favata

Michael Favata

Apr 27, 2021
  10. Yes, I was so glad to see this video when it came out. Her spirit was wonderful.

I was able to attend The American Ballet Theater company performance of a tribute to George Harrison some years back. It was splendid.
    When Julie Kent danced, I couldn't breathe.

World Premiere
    October 18, 2002
    City Center
    New York, New York

Cast:
    Angel Corella, Julie Kent, Ethan Stiefel, Herman Cornejo, Sandra Brown, Jose Manuel Carreño, Erica Cornejo, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes, Sarawanee Tanatanit, Michele Wiles, Joaquin De Luz, David Hallberg, Carlos Molina, Dartanion Reed, Craig Salstein, Gillian Murphy

11. MrNige

MrNige

Oct 14, 2020
    Nashville
    Bill Wyman my Mom&Dad bought me my first real bass guitar ( I'ts a long story best forgotten) A Framus Star Bass the small les paul shape it was blonde and Bill had one. 1965. In 1989 I had the fantastic experience of talking to him about it and the first time I saw them live again in 1965 after the concert in Birmingham AL.

mikewalker, bobyoung53 and marchone like this.
  12. nik max

nik max

Feb 18, 2019
    UK
    Paul Rocco Duck McPrestiaDunn

mikewalker, bobyoung53 and MrNige like this.

13. I still play a couple of his licks today, he was the first rock and roll and blues bassist I ever heard, got 12 x 5 for Christmas in 1964.

marchone, MrNige and mikewalker like this.
  14. OpposableThumbs

OpposableThumbs Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2019
    John Patitucci, Victor Wooten, Carol Kaye. I don’t know why John Patitucci doesn’t get more mention on TB. He is a monster on bass, inventive, and versatile. Amazing musician and seems like a truly good human being.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    And you know you should be glad! :bassist:

bobyoung53 and Son of Wobble like this.
  16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Wooooo!

Son of Wobble and mikewalker like this.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You misspelled Boxcar Willie my man.

But its not like I actually could hear any bass in any music on the radio as a kid in the mid 60s. :cool:

18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Speaking of life-long inspirations, I am only minutes away from purchasing tickets to see this guy for what has to be at least the twelfth time. Shooting for the front row this time, but we'll see.

TonyLevin2.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. bobyoung53 likes this.

20. When did Paul cut all his hair off?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021