Who inspired you to play bass, Paul McCartney or Paul McCartney?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Paul McCartney

44.0%
  2. Paul McCartney

27.0%
  3. Paul McCartney

30.8%
  4. Paul McCartney

27.0%
  5. Or Paul McCartney

50.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    You didn't put bald Paul on your list.

bobyoung53 likes this.

2. Too late :laugh:.

3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Did you hook up tickets? Just saw yesterday they're going out.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    9fe4a4a5d33e8bdd4f97892c178ac035-1.gif

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    @bobyoung53 In case of pending thread-death, pull

46636ce0-1dbe-3070-b6ce-33a96d4e470b.jpeg

StereoPlayer and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Naw, I missed it. SNAFU with the presale code but will try tomorrow for regular seats. Likely won't get front row but that's a lot of money, anyway.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    What would front row cost?

Can't believe what people spend on tickets. I'm so spoiled over the years. Saw John Lee Hooker from a front of stage table with no drink minimum for $5. Saw Richie Blackmore's Rainbow front row center on a comp. That sort of thing.

bobyoung53 likes this.

8. I saw Zep for 2 bucks.

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    More money than I'm willing to admit I wanted to spend :).

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    You win the thread LOL

bobyoung53 likes this.

11. I would rather have seen Hooker with Canned Heat anyday.

12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I saw Garbage at the Santa Barbara Bowl seven or eight years ago and had my elbows on the stage at Shirley Manson's feet, and that was a $35 ticket.

Section A tickets center stage at the Greek Theater in LA are currently showing ask prices of $400-$800. That should include airfare, two nights hotel and transportation to the gig IMHO.

I remember thirty years ago an 80 year old telling me how in his late teens he'd go on a date for a dollar. Gas was a nickel, burgers a dime, sodas a nickel, bowling a nickel a game. He'd treat his date and come home with change in his pocket.

angry-old-man-300x300.jpg

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Here's the thing. Nowadays, it's a luxury and one of those things I might splurge on once or twice a year just for the experience. I've seen some great bands for next to nothing in tiny little clubs before they got huge, and those memories last a lifetime. Last time I saw Crimson was during the Discipline tour at an outdoor amphitheater where I could walk right up to the stage and do all the headbanging I wanted. Probably cost $5. Times have sure changed.

Son of Wobble and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Oh, and first time I saw Tony play was during the first Peter Gabriel tour which was the same one where Weather Report opened and I got to shake hands with that famous bass player, "Four Strings" Pastorius. I don't remember how much those tickets cost but I do remember we had to drive a good distance to get there :)

15. When I first got my license gas was 27.9 cents for regular and 28.9 cents for high test. Of course I put in regular and none of the GD unleaded! We used to call it 'white gas'. We used to go to the gas station and put in 'a buck's worth' goldarn young whippersnappers have NO IDEA!

Old-man-Photo-by-Roland-Kay-Smith-on-Unsplash-687x1030.jpg

16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Wow, the hand that touched the hand! Now we have GOT to shake :smug:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. Bad Bob

Bad Bob Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2020
    Niskayuna, New York.
    And a six pack was $1.25 and a pack of cigarettes was 35 cents.

18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I haven't washed it since, so are you sure?

19. Did you get to talk to "Four Strings"?

20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I did. It was kinda cool. The show was at a relatively small old theater in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. After WR finished, we went out to the lobby to get some drinks and whatnot, and they were all just standing out there. Zawinul, Jaco, all of them. Nobody was paying any attention to them so we walked up and thanked them for an outstanding show. I already was aware of them and Jaco's playing by then so I made a point to tell him how much I appreciated what he did, and he thanked me, and I shook his hand. They were all very gracious. This was early days, before Jaco's illness really had taken hold. He seemed pretty normal at that point, but I only spent like two minutes with him.

Son of Wobble and bobyoung53 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021