Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who inspired you to play bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kanti, Mar 10, 2004.

1. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just wondering who got you interested in bass
    playing. Doesn't have to be someone famous.

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, so I'd have to say Roger Waters.

2. Im a really big Maiden and Motorhead fan...so my awnsers are obvious :D

JTSmitty likes this.
  3. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    John Taylor. Every track on Rio has a *sweet* bassline!

PaulYeah

4. For me, it was my dad first, then Stu Cook of CCR then Paul McCartney...

hmm... I see a patern... all three played a rickenbacker at one point...

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My dad and a Hawiian restuarant.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    In all honesty, everyone was playing guitar. And I was like... "I wanna be different." And one day we were at the muzak store getting my sister her 2nd guitar, and I was like "Hey dad, show me the basses." Christmas of 2000, I got a Squier Bass Pak with a Baltic Blue P-Bass... good piece of wood.

7. My friend that lives a couple houses down from me was playing bass,and I always though it was awsome...Well,he played this one line and I was just amazed by it. I wanted one since like Spring and I got it Finally in December.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Before i started bass i didnt know much about many basssists. Mainly i idolized Flea. He still is on my list of favorite bassists, but i now know there is a lot more out there, but as far as playing style goes, i semi model myself after him. Kinda dirk lance and flea combined.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Another for Roger Waters! Umma Gumma was my first rock record, and still my favorite to this day. I was hooked!

10. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Larry G.

His group Graham Central Station set the standard for funk for all that came after them, and there were scantily few before him that played any other way. He was somewhat subtle with Sly, but on his own..... legendary.

Can you play Hair? I still haven't gottn that opening lick. And I've been playing for 10+ years.

11. asian fish

asian fish

Mar 18, 2003
    What he said... :D

12. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alex Katunich (Dirk Lance), formerly of Incubus.

13. "The Decline of the Western Civlization Part 1" a documentary type of movie on the early LA Punk/Hardcore scene. I figured if these guys were doing it that I could do it too (not much talent or skill but lots of attitude). I had much more to learn before I could appreciate guys like Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler, John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Steve Harris, etc.

14. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    as a kid, i always saw bassists as boring. they were the ones that just kinda stood there and did nothing.
    then i saw gene simmons and it changed everything in the world about bass guitar. not only was he at the front of the stage, his instrument was the loudest of all too!

15. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I always had wanted to play bass. I never knew why. But, I did. For many years, i had a bass sitting in my room, stashed away. Or under the bed. Either given to me, or that I bought. It wasn't untill a year ago, durning a very, very despressing "era" of my life that picked up my bass. I havn't put it down since.

My early influences where *Cough*hoppus*cough*. That was before I "got" into bass. I lurked aruond forums on websites, learned as much as I could and I started to slowly expand my horizons. To anything and everything from AFI, Iron Maiden, Pastorius, Primus, Wooten, ect. As of lately, I've really been getting into some Jaco stuff. Along with a bit of Claypool for some alternate styles. I don't want to confine myself to one 'style' of bass. I want to play it all.

Yup.

16. BassThing

BassThing

Mar 4, 2004
    UK
    Jamie Stewart was probably the turning. I'd been playing guitar for a couple of years before and always admired the likes of JJ Burnel, Steve Severin etc but after hearing Jamie's chorused Stingray on Dreamtime, I just had to go out and buy a bass!