Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who inspires you to not be a bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ;)

C'mon, who makes playing another instrument so cool, that you consider (or actually do it) playing another instrument.

Mine, Denis D'Amour from Voivod. His guitar style is so huge, so heavy, so atmospheric all rolled into one. The Outer Limits is the reason guitar has become more than boring.

Milt Jackson makes me consider vibraphone. :D

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I "wish" I could play other instruments. My hands won't fit though. Bass is pretty much it. I play a little piano every now and then, and I can do bar chords on the guitar and that kind of thing, but bass is what's natural. I listen to Charles Mingus, and Jaco, and Stanley Clarke (his hands are like mine, have you ever seen the picture of him with his upright, where his hand's on the neck in the normal playing position, but his fingers are wrapped all the way around the neck, and poking out the other side?), and stuff like that. Jaco was a pretty amazing organ player, by the way. Have you heard any of the live stuff where he's playing the B-3? Awesome stuff. Definitely check it out if you get the chance. :)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Terry Bozzio makes me want to hit things with a stick.

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    every time I hear anyone playing a sax half decently I consider taking up saxamophone :)

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Alex Lifeson and Andy Summers make me want to play guitar full-time.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Chick from Rasputina makes me want to learn cello; and play arco with distortion.

The Sleepytime Gorilla Museum guys make me want to invent an instrument.

7. In all honesty, I'm looking to pick up an acoustic guitar because of my brother-in-law. His ability to write good music at the drop of a hat is amazing. Most of it on acoustic that he bought for $50 at a local pawn shop.

Mike

8. I started with the trumpet, but it was my love of jazz music that led me to the bass, nothing yet has led me away tho. I can play a little guitar, piano, and violin but the trumpet and the bass guitar by far are my favourites. (lately i have been very interested in the synth tho...)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gene Hoglan almost singlehandedly made me want to throw down on drums. And, as a matter of course, I will be here sometime in the next year or so (schedule got moved back due to housing issues. Otherwise I'd already have them.)

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    John Bonham made me wanna be a drummer, but alas with no volume control my parents nixed the idea.

Since I love the rhythm section anyway, I took up the bass and never looked back. But the rhythm section of JPJ and Bonham always did something for me.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    John Medeski is a huge influence on me. He makes me want to play vintage keyboards.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Morphine's saxophonist makes me really miss playing sax every time I hear him.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I do play drums, guitar, trombone, trumpet, sitar and some piano on top of bass. Don't really know why I picked up all the others (started on bass), but I just, did. I always like trying new things...

Ray

14. Guthrie Govan makes me wanna play guitar, and Greg...er... *embarrassing name forgetting incident* _______ makes me want to buy a Chapman Stick, in spite of the fact I have poop hand independence.

15. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How about Alan Holdsworth?

Does anyone "really" want to be a guitar player? :D

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    holdsworth is the funniest guitar player I've ever seen. His videos are so terrible in the best way possible. :D

I love the one where he basically says "I never had any formal training, so I invented my own systems to understand music, so, everything you see me write here won't make any sense to you, in fact this whole video is probably pretty pointless anyway, but here it is"

17. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, he's a pretty straightforward cat. That's part of his genius, and probably also part of why he hasn't been very successful commercially. He sure is a hard worker though. I've played with him once or twice, and he's way beyond anything I can comprehend. Whatever system he's invented, it works, and it works well. His rig is pretty cool too. :)

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    for sure, I think he's pretty radical. I just can't get over those ridiculous videos!

19. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya John Bonham definitely inpired many air drumming sessions!Also Carter Beauford.Brandon Boyd makes me wanna be a singer.

20. the_vza1

the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    my drummer makes me wanna drum, he says hes thinking about buying a bass lol :bassist: