1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who insures double basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ZonGuy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    what they dont cover:

Governmental Action
    Nuclear Activity
    Wear and tear
    Marring and scratching
    Mold, wet or dry rot, rust corrosion
    Nesting or discharge by insect, birds, rodents or animals
    Latent defect of repair or manufacture
    War or warlike action
    Invasion or insurrection
    Seizure of power
    Contraband
    Illegal transportation or trade

so make sure not illegally trade your bass at a government auction causing a government insurrection that leads to nuclear war further causing cockroaches to nest in your bass :)

4. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    How about Lloyd's of London (info below), hope this helps.

Lloyd's
    One Lime Street
    London
    EC3M 7HA
    UK

Telephone
    +44 (0)20 7327 1000

Email
    enquiries@lloyds.com

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I signed up for the ISB and they sent me some insurance info. Luckily, my bass is a real POS so I don't need coverage!

6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i insured my instruments and amplifiers with musicpro insurance for a couple of years. never had a claim. recently switched to having my gear covered under a separate amendment to my allstate homeowner's policy. my previous homeowner's, aaa, wouldn't cover instruments that were played for compensation, i.e. 'professionally,' nor would state farm.

you can contact the Int'l Society of Bassists directly for info about their insurance affiliation, which was merz-huber last time i checked, and it was more expensive.

there are some threads about this down in miscellaneous, i think.

sean p

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've got a rider on my Allstate homeowner's. I have an appraisal on my bass, and the insurance rate appears to be a flat percentage of the total dollar value insured.

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I've been with MusicPro for years. Had a claim, they paid quickly. The website is GREAT now, and makes it a ton easier than it used to be to try to get a live person to make changes in gear, etc. which was my only complaint.

DO a search for them, and you will see my opinion on them. All positive other than trying to get an agent on the phone during the May/June signup time, but the website fixed that problem, and I was able to get a live person in claims very quickly and easily.

IMHO, I would never go with a home insurance rider, if for no other reason that they aren't used to dealing with instruments and I don't want a fight if I have a claim.