1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Who Is A Master Pickguard Maker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I’m modding a Bronco into a Mustang and need a custom PG that will look right, cover the Bronco’s cavity correctly, and fit the control plate. Who would you think will do the best job?

I will probably need to send the body to ensure the best fit, so what is the approximate shipping cost coming from Texas?

2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
  3. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    bassdude51,

I had Tony at Pickguardian make a PG for my SG , but he had a template for that already. I tried making a template for my Bronco and it came out kindda hokey. I was thinking about using Tony again although he doesn't have a Bronco to Mustang template. So I thought I'd
    check with the family first to see what y'all think.

John Benson at Benson's custom pickups also makes PG's now, but I've never gotten one from him. He did an excellent job on my PUP when I converted a Bronco into my Musicmaster though.

Does anybody know about how much shipping the body to Ohio from TX will cost?

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    John Kallas (JohnK Vintage Basses). He has done three for me. All were perfect.

map34157, Dominic DeCosa and pudge like this.
  5. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Thanks spirit, I'll check with him.

Roger at Jeanie Pickguards did my Bronco to Musicmaster PG, and did an excellent job, although that was a easier one to make than a MG.
    But I email him and never heard back. I did hear a rumor that he was no longer in business. Has anyone else heard this?

spiritbass likes this.
  6. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Night crew, What Say You?????

7. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Tony @ pickguardian does good work. I'm hoping I get my custom guard back before next Friday, though.

8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Id send the body to pick guardian

9. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
  10. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Shipping the body anywhere and back is going to cost you a fortune, and most PG makers won't accept that. They're not interested in becoming a part of your design team, nor taking responsibility for half of your guitar. They just want a drawing, some kind of template, or the actual PG that you're trying to duplicate if they don't have it as a stock template.

11. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Could also buy a PG router bit and roll your own.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Chandler (in California) replicated a couple of pickguards for me a few years ago. Those folks were fantastic to work with and the end products were spot-on duplications... exactly what I was looking for.

13. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Agreed. Chandler made the 3-ply cream guard for my '95 Fury (top) based on a template they had in house—and they have *lots*. They were great at communicating via phone to make sure I got exactly what I wanted in terms of colour, hole set-up etc. Great business. WDMusic made two custom guards for me as well: for my '78 Guild B302 ( middle right) in 3-ply black and a very nice aged pearl for my FrankenJazz (bottom). For those two, I took the existing pickguards off and sent them down to WD. They then did the replacements and sent everything back. Perfect work and quick turn-around. I think either business could get you what you need—but neither wants you to send a body to them.

PeaveyFury - 1.jpg

GuildB302andStarfireII - 1.jpg

WarmothJazzBass - 1.jpg

organworthyplayer337 and Low84 like this.
  14. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    FYI
    - Tony recommended to send the body.
    - John Benson said he also gets builds with instructions to make PG's.
    - My local luthier would want the body as well but making PG's is really not his thing.

I'm not sure where you got your info, but I would think most would prefer to have the body for odd jobs where there's no template, although I know they will make them from a drawing as well.

15. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    I've worked with a few different people/companies and not a single one of them offer to take your guitar body and design the pickguard for you. One of them would only take a tracing, because they didn't want to be responsible for the original PG.

If those guys are willing to do all that, then great. But IME, it's not common. And it'll probably cost $30 each way to ship the body (more or less depending on how far it's going). That'll make for a pretty expensive pick guard.

16. Berger912

Berger912 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Rockland County, NY
    Roger passed away a few years ago

17. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Tony at Pickguardian did this guard for me. I did make a one ply for the original and didn't care for the thin material.....................so, I gave that guard to Tony and had him cut me a tort.

Being from Columbus, Ohio................Pickguardian is only a 10 minute drive from my home.

DSCF6287.JPG DSCF6281.JPG

kkaarrll likes this.
  18. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I missed Roger's passing... :crying:

Two of the new guards that JohnK did for me, I provided guards to use for templates. This one was custom:

EZXZV5c.jpg

19. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I'm not trying to hijack my own thread, but are those Thunderbird PUPS on that Jag???
    Also, is that a short scale???

20. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Full scale Squier VM deluxe from a few years ago. They are Thunderbuckers (based on the original Gibson pickups). This one turned out very well - my take on a 'fenderbird'. :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021