Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is allergic to aspirin?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I know this might be a little personal, but I'm having a bit of a hard time with it, and my doctors aren't giving me much help.

When I was a toddler (3 or 4 maybe?) I ate a whole bottle of orange flavored St. Joseph's Baby Aspirin. Needless to say it didn't go over well and while I eventually recovered, I ended up sensitized to aspirin and all NSAIDS. I didn't really know it until my early twenties and had a few, progressively worse, allergic reactions. Recently other problems arose and my doctor(s) have told me I have a salycilate sensitivity. Seems that salicylates are in just about everything and I'm having a hard time with it.

Anybody else experience this? What are you doing to cope?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Um, I was diagnosed as allergic to aspirin when I was 15 after a severe reaction, but it hasn't affected my life much, I just can't take any aspirin-related painkillers.

I'm not quite sure if you are talking about drugs or general products, but paracetamol products work fine as a substitute for me.

3. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I found this on the net.

"Salicylate sensitivity is the body's inability to handle more than a certain amount of salicylates at any one time. A salicylate sensitive person may have difficulty tolerating certain fruits, vegetables, or any products which contain aspirin.
    What Are Salicylates?
    Salicylates are chemicals that occur naturally in many plants. They act as preservatives to delay rotting and as protectants against harmful bacteria and fungi. They are stored in the bark, leaves, roots, and seeds of plants. Salicylates can be found naturally in some foods and its compounds are used in various products."

4. my girlfriend is allergic to aspirin but she seems to cope. never really asked her how though! probably because she some sort of super woman! :smug:

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow, so is my girlfriend! It doesn't seem to affect her life apart from that when she has a hangover, she can get no respite from aspirin :spit:

6. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Care to elaborate?

Edit: paracetamol = acetaminophen in the US. Yeah I use that too.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There's also Ibuprofen.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, seems to be called Tylenol and Datrin in US, Panadol in Europe because of the different US/international chemical naming standard.

It works quite similar to Aspirin because of the molecular structure, except for anti-inflammatory and blood thinning effects Aspirin has.

Ibuprofin shares some traits with Aspirin, so it's not recommended for people allergic to one substance.

9. Different things

Paracetemol is a pain killer, it desensitises and blocks neural signals essentially
    Ibuprofen is an antiinflamitory, which will work great for some things, but if its not pain caused by swelling of anything, then it wont at all

I made Aspirin in a uni class in 1st year :) , we werent allowed to use it tho :(

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey mohawk, are you studying a drug-related field?

I'm on the first year in Lab Chem, probably specializing in bio/organics so I'm gonna be working for the (legal!) drug industry during the summers.

11. Im in my 3rd year of Biochemistry :) , if i get a degree i'll possibly end up doing something similar :)

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Not allergic as such, but I am not meant to take Aspirin or Ibuprofen due to being asthmatic. (Or any NSAI). However, I do tend to take Ibuprofen following a migarine, as it seems to be the only thing to take the edge off the headache I'm left with!:bassist:

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'm allergic. I don't know what happens because I never took it. It's just what docters tell people with albinism.

14. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Do you suffer any affects of salicylates in food or cosmetic products, i.e. preservatives in food, shampoo, toothpaste, etc..?

15. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    The wifey is allergic to phenol and formaldahyde.
    This stuff is used everywhere it seems. More so in the less expensive items, plastics, clothing, even houses!

They always seem to cause skin reactions or respiratory reactions.

16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    None whatsoever.

17. I'm not sure about this, but I think my grandfather was allergic to aspirin, and has to use it to clear is blood, so the doctor told him to drink a glass of gin(alcool) everyday....

but that must be a story he told us to justify his daily glass of alcool :smug: