Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is Ani Defranco?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 14, 2004.

1. hello, well me and my girlfriend were down in madison, when we walked past a theatre announcing Ani Defranco will be playing in two weeks. my girlfriend told me she loves this singer and wants to go. She said she would pay, i guess its fair, because this is her favorite singer(plus i'm low on expendable cash). does anyone here know who she is? what am i to expect at this concert? am i going to enjoy this? well of course i am. i am not snobby enough to turn down a free concert. but, in any case, who is she? is anyone else here on TB going?
    Charlie

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    she's a female pop/folk vocalist.

I believe she has been noted as having an all female band at times, though I don't know if that's the case.

either way, I know she used to have a female bassist, who was really good(we played some of her songs in my old ensemble)

her lyrics are generally known for being really really personal, and intimate, while her music ranges a wide variety of styles and some of it is really groovy.

but yeah, she's kind of like a modern joni mitchell, only not nearly as cool.

www.allmusic.com

is a always a great place to go to read about musicians you know nothing about.

oh yeah, and it's difranco :p

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, that's the other thing, she definitely attracts the female empowerment crowd.

my only exposure to her was thru playing some songs in ensemble, our two vocalists were fans, and they wanted to try some of her songs. they were groovy songs though!

I really liked 'em

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    One of my favorite artists, and an incredibly prolific one at that. I have about seven of her albums, and there's at least a dozen others out there since she began making them on her own label back in 1990.

5. Man....It's one of your girlfriends favorite singers and you never even heard of her before? Way to be involved in your girlfriends musical interests you big silly goose.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    She's very talented, and you are lucky to see her.

Miscellaneous.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Grow up.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No...

I've given many "accoustic chicks" a fare shake and Ani is the only one who struck me as interesting, I'm sorry. I'm also sorry for calling them accoustic chicks... jeez. I'll remove all my posts from this thread... sorry. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    She separates from all other "acoustic chicks", though, because Ani DiFranco is for REAL. She can actually PLAY and SING, and she has a "voice" of her own, on both the guitar and in her vocals. She also has her own vision of how to do things. She is a true talent, and true artist, not unlike say, Tori Amos. Much respect.

I only have "Little Plastic Castle", and while it has ups and downs, it's a very good album overall.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's the categorical stereotyping that I find ridiculous. Your response to my posts confirms my beliefs. C'mon Matt, what kind of reaction is, [whine] "jezz, I'll remove all my posts, sorry!"[/whine]? I know you're capable of better.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    No disagreement here, although I've found that Tori's recent work has lost the bite and edge of "Little Earthquakes", "Boys for Pele", and particularly "Under the Pink".

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That may very well be, I'm only familiar with her earlier work.

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ani gets a lot of my respect for the fact that she stuck it out as an idie artist. i read once that she was offered deals many times by major labels but never took one cuz she refused to be "owned" by anyone. also heard that alanis morissette was created in the likes of ani. if you notice any similarities remember that ani came way before alanis.

i like ani, like tori too. tori hit a nerve with her catholic school stuff though so she's a bit closer to my heart. "so you can make me cum, that doesn't make you jesus" in reference to "those christian boys", is one of my favorite lines of all time. :D

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What's with these female folk/guitar divas and the letter i

ani
    tori
    joni

eh? eh? :D

15. ok, fine. i admit. i've heard of her, but i wanted a creative way to ask everybodys opinion on her. thats all.
    Thanks everybody for your opinion. :)
    Charlie

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, what should I have said? I don't see this as stereotyping. I could have said female singer songwriters, but that would include female singer/songwriter/pianists and I have heard many of them which I have tons of respect for. And I have heard many and with a feminist exgirlfriend and a hippie girl ex roomate I have heard thousands of girls alone with their accoustic guitars and the only one that I've heard that I dig is Ani. So when I say accoustic chicks I mean female singer/songwriters who play accoustic guitar and accoustic as their main instrument. I don't find this stereotypical... if I had only heard Jewel, that would be a different story.

Also, I deleted my posts because you found them offensive. If anyone finds my posts offensive, I delete them.

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    that's stupid matt. :) kinda takes a little of the fun out of things. speak your mind boy!

18. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    My sister loves her but I hate her. Not a fan of folky feminist music (IMO), perhaps because I'm not a female.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I suppose this is true. But I was perhaps being sexists. One of the many downsides to internet forum discussions as opposed to real life discussions, no sense of the persons inflection. Also, jazzbo, among many other people who see this thread may not know me very well to know that I'm joking or being sarcastic.

Alright, I withdraw my previous statement and say, "I rarely delete my posts if people find them offensive, but for Jazzbo, I'll make an exception." ;)

20. Rightous Babe Records!

I really love her music. She has something to say and she says it well. She doesn't suffer fools lightly in her lyrics.