Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is bassist for Zebra?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jennifer, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Can anyone tell me who the bassist for the band Zebra is/was? I don't know if they are still around or not.

2. Felix Hanemann and i think they broke up in the late 80's

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

gruffpuppy's correct - Hanemann. I used to have a Mardi Gras addiction and played some Tulane U. gigs to pay for it in the 80's. I saw Zebra there and was struck by the fact that Felix was using a Rickenbacker like mine when he wasn't playing keyboards. (I used it a lot back then). They're still alive and kicking. The other 2 band members have done work with various symphony orchestras in the last couple of years. I'm not sure what Felix has been up to.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yup, Felix Hanneman. Wow that brings back some serious memories...:D

...sneaking into CYO dances in New Orleans to see them in '82....sneaking into bars when I was 16 to cop LZ licks from Randy Jackson (their guitarist, seriously...no not the bassist...who just happens to be from Baton Rouge)...being totally blown away by their ability to sound better BETTER doing LZ than LZ did....being blown away by their rendition of "The Spirit Of Radio", which was damn near as good as the one I'd seen Rush do a few weeks before that point....great band, but made some disappointingly poor business decisions, never got quite up to speed nationally because of it. They're still heros in New Orleans though, played there at a large club last year, sold it out in minutes.

5. This thread inspired me to break out my Zebra CD, the first album. They were too cool. "Who's Behind the Door?".. how great was that song? And they went from playing stuff like that to "Hold On." Great and terribly underrated band. I grew up in Connecticut and used to listen to WBAB, 102.3 FM on Long Island, Zebra's home turf.. they were legends on that station!

6. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I'm glad to see there's a few other fans out there! "No Telling Lies" was my favorite album. I'm thinking about learning "I Don't Care" just for sh!ts and grins. Kind of a jazzy little tune. :D

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Gotta set the record straight here: Zebra's "home turf" was, is, and will always be New Orleans, LA. They had a huge following in the northeast, particularly on Long Island, and spent a great deal of time there, but Randy Jackson and Felix Hanneman are native New Orleanians. Guy Gelso is originally from Sacramento, CA, he rode his motorcycle to NO for Mardi Gras one year, and just never left, had his drums shipped to him there. They should have been big, but just made some management decisions that weren't very good, and never made the big step.

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    to set the record even straighter, Zebra never broke up. I just saw and filmed them a few months ago near DC. http://www.thedoor.com

i first saw them in 1987 and they kicked just as hard now as they did back then. they are one of my all time fave bands.

3.V is my fave LP.